1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blade repair

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Frostysnow, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

There is a dime size hole in the corner of my plow blade and i was wondering what i could do, if anything, to repair it. Just a short term repai to last to the end of the winter. I was thinkinking of getting the plow sand blasted+primed and then using some Bondo on the blade? Anyways i thought i would ask the experienced. Thanks and merry christmas!!!

2. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

Bondo would break right off, get some sheet metal and have it welded on.

3. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

If it is only a dime size hole I would just fill it with welding bead, and grind it smooth.

4. infineon954

infineon954 Senior Member

Find someone with a MIG welder and have filled in, grinded "true" then paint. Patches over steel may not hold.

5. john-boy

john-boy Member

if it were mine, i'd leave it alone until ur ready to blast it...not like it will affect your performance

6. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I have several sheets of 3/8 inch thick poly that Id be willing to part with, pm me if your interested....Rob

7. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

rob i cant pm yet but i can email u or u can email me. How much do u want for the ply? and will it attach to my steel blade? walnut77@netzero.com

8. ADMSWELDING

ADMSWELDING Senior Member

Mig weld that pin hole and grind it is the best way IMO.

9. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I'd leav it until spring then fix it. I have a tear in mine too. No effect on plowing.

A quick repair is back it with some sheet steel then weld in the hole- this will weld the backing steel to it.

10. PaleRider

PaleRider Senior Member

Hang on until spring!!!!!!!!!

:waving: justme, don't spend a ton of money on a simple repair. Wait til spring and either mig weld it and grind it smooth or have a small patch welded on. It has no effect right now on your plowing. I have spots on my plow that need help as well but, I'm waiting til spring to tear it down and get it like spanky new! Go make the money payup to pay for the repairs. unless you do your own?

PaleRider :gunsfiring:

11. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i probably have some sheet metal we could weld in there for you if you need something like that. let me know

12. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

lorentz thanks for the offer. I just got a poly shield from a mail supplier the other day and im goingto try that for the winter, but i would like to try some sheet metal repair in the spring. i dont have access to a welder so if u could help out that would be awsome!! Anyways, i will let you know how things go. If you need any help with anything let me know. I deff. dont have a full route yet. Thanks.

Austin

13. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

just look me up when you're ready