1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blade removal

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rush, Oct 19, 2006.

1. rush

rush Member

I found a place close to me that will sand blast my rusted western plow so i can repaint it.

I have never taken a plow off of the frame before, can someone who has done it walk me through it.

It looks like 3 springs need to be removed, a shock and 2 bolts on the bottom left and right.

The pointers im looking for include: removing and reinstalling the springs and the shock and how to readjust the trip springs once i put it back together.

Thanks in advance

2. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

i believe you untension the springs as you unbolt them from the hook so that they are easy to take off....im not 100% sure of that though.

3. LLM Ann Arbor

LLM Ann Arbor Senior Member

Why remove it at all?

Remove the rams and let them blast the whole thing.

4. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I agree except After the unit was sand blasted I would remove the springs to repaint separate. I would also tape off the frame and do in black.

And yes you release the pressure from the long adjusting bolt. I would wrap the threads right above where it is now with some tape to mark where to re-tighten it again.

5. rush

rush Member

so leave it attached and remove the pump, lights, lines and rams?

im afraid of not being able to put it back together...lol