1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade or Box

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by pieperlc, Nov 15, 2007.

1. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

I have a Cat 252B. Was wondering whether to put a blade or box on it. I see pros & cons both. Will be using it on a few parking lots (medium sized to very small) and driveways. Debating between a Daniels 10' or 12' (leaning towards the 10) straight blade w/pusher kit, or some brand of 8' box pusher. Any preference out there for steel trip edge vs. rubber? We also have a couple of 2500 w/7'6" straight blades, so this plow will work a little with these, but on it's own as well. I was thinking the blade would be more versatile especially with the pusher kit; however, I think a box is significantly cheaper. For those of you that aren't familiar with the Daniels, www.danielsplows.com.
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

It really depend on where you need to pile the snow. Is it at the ends or winged to the sides. I have never tried the Daniel's blade with the pusher attachment but everything they make seems to be very well built. If you go with a pusher, go with a steel trip. Rubber doesn't scrap very well IMO.
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

If you going to spend that kind of money. Just get a blizzard 810SS or 8611SS plow.
  4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

10-12' is almost twice the plow as your machine will handle!!

if you are going with a straight plow make sure you get a 7.5' or less although your mach. can handle it straight, the vertical lift machines tend to be a little light in the front tires and when agle-plowing it'll just push your machine sideways

we have 246's and we use 6.5' and 7' but nothing bigger, it all depends on the amount of snow. we have got overwhelmed and had to abandon the blades totally and go to the high cap. buckets

your machine will handle a 8-10' pusher because you are pushing straight,

take this advice for what it's worth but i do have experience

you also need to go to"equipment pictures" and check out JD's "BIG RED"
  5. pieperlc

pieperlc Senior Member
    from 4-5

I was always under the impression that you could put a little larger blade on than a box due to the fact you're pushing less volume of snow. Maybe that's wrong? The manufacturer's recomendation is 7-9K machine for a 12'. I will be going with a 10' if I decide to go this route. Anyone else with blade/skid steer experience. I certainly don't want to be underpowered, but don't want to max. efficiency also. The 252B is just shy of 8000lb.
  6. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

the machine is not underpowered it's underweighted, if you still want to run that large of a plow you might consider hanging about 1000lb of tractor weights to the coupler(machine side).

Are you working by the hour???????if so how about a 60"lol

(no disrespect) the vertical lift machines are not the best choice for grading and digging because they are a little light on the front and boom design.......but this makes them a very good lift&carry machine

we use skid steer's as clean-up and a 10' blade is completely out of the Q'

i dont care one way or another what way you go but i can tell you that you are making a complete mistake putting a 10' on a SSL, we have a 10' viking on 100+hp tractor and i am not to sure of it on an angle (first year for this tractor)
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I didn't realize it was a SS. PJ your little Ford will be fine with a 10ft, we have a 95 hp JD with a 14 ft p/a on it. Paint that thing GREEN and be done with it. LOL
  8. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

I am running an 8ft Box on my ASV RC50. It handles it fine But just to be sure I added the rear weight kit.

But listen to Dave. He seems to know what hes talking about.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Listen to Powerjoke. I have a 252B with an 8.5' plow pushes fine just can't angle all the way when wet. I have put my 10' on the skid works fine for light snow but nothing heavy. Allways error on the side of caution you can push more snow with a full width pass of an 8' than half of a 10' problem with SS is wheelbase too big of a plow will just push you sideways. As for pushers I don't have any experience I use high cap buckets.