1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade movement question

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Straightliner, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Straightliner

Straightliner Member

When I'm plowing and I get to the snow pile with my blade to the left or right, the snow pile will push the blade to the straight position. I just want to know if this alright? Or am I hurting anything? If you need to know it's a Hiniker Straight plow.

Thanks
    Brad

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

that is the pressure relief valve letting the piston collapse. if it didn't you would blow something up from the pressure build up on the angling piston.
    OR
    your pressure relief valve is week and allowing the blade to get pushed around.

3. Straightliner

Straightliner Member

OK I get it makes sense, something has to give. Thanks for the quick answer.

Brad

4. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

blade motion

Is this a new installation problem or has it developed over time?

The reason I ask is when I put on my most recent plow purchase, it was very difficult to properly purge the air from the rams due to the angle they sit at. I had to hang the plow over a small hill to get it down far enough so the turn rams were lowest at the plow end. Then swing it back and forth a few times to purge the air. After that, it was solid as a rock.

If this developed over time on a working plow, then you have some other issue like the pressure relief valve etc.

5. Straightliner

Straightliner Member

I bought the truck as a complete unit. I don't believe there is anything wrong. I just wanted to verify that it's ok for the blade to be forced to move when I hit the pile. It doesn't move with ease it definitely has resistance, so I'm pretty confident that the relief valve is in good working order. This unit was never used commercially, I'm pretty sure all it did was plow a cottage road and some farm driveways.

Thanks
    Brad

6. MrBigStuff

MrBigStuff Senior Member
    from Boston

Prv

OK, but I just want to point out that the pile would have to be iced up pretty bad for any of my plows to activate the relief valve. Usually, the only thing that will cause them to move is a solid obstruction. I can butt the most forward edge of the angled blade into some pretty large piles and just drive forward, the plow doesn't give one inch. If it moves too easily, you may need to fix the relief or might have air in the rams.