1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

blade is tripping

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by jgibb150, Dec 18, 2007.

1. jgibb150

jgibb150 Junior Member
    from Indiana

The last snow we had was about 6" and I started wind rowing everything to the right, but then my row would get to tall so I would have to straight blade it to make it smaller. I then would end up with some snow that my truck would pack down by driving over. when I tried to plow it up my blade would just trip over and only scrape off the top. The guy that was plowing with came over and his 7'6" boss straight blade peeled it right up. My blade is a 7'6" western with two springs. Do you think I need to replace my springs? Any ideas would help. Also should I have plowed the lot different?

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Try a new Boss plow?:D

or check the springs tighten them up .Western tends to flop over a lot with hard pack.

Try and make straight passes first, then angle plow.

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

the standard duty 7'6" has 2 springs. try to find a pro-plow. they have 3 springs and a shock absorber. they are also better built and heavier. i have an 8' pro plow and added 2 more springs for a total of 5. it still trips (as its designed to) but stands up more than it would with 3 springs in the snow/sleet/ice mix that would typically trip it.

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

What year is your pro-plow because as of what i know they come with 4 trip springs...as mine has four.

5. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

6. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Just add two more springs to your plow. Angle stock from the hardware store, two springs, two eye bolts, and a drill and welder. I did it to one of my old plows when I had a standard plow. MUCH Cheaper than trying to sell yours and bet another one.

7. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Older pre-90's

That is around a 1985 or so conventional.