1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade height

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Nozzleman, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

It seems that in some stacking photo's on the sight that the blades are alot higher than mine. I was wondering how high off the ground should the blade be when the plow is raised up and angled straight. I switched my plow from one truck to another and I never measured with it on the old truck. The plow is a 8' Fisher mounted on an '03 Ram 2500. I feel as though my stacking ability may be compromised.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

All trucks,and plows are different,so you can't just measure how high the blade comes up off the ground.

First thing to check,is your a-frame close to level when the plow is down on level ground ? If it is your OK,if not you will have to adjust it until it is pretty close to level.

Next step is to adjust the chain,so that the blade will come up as high as possible,but still drop low enough to allow you to plow up over the top of a hill or driveway.On our western's,I usually set the chain up so there is about 2 inches of the lift ram extended when the blade is level on the ground.

The height of the plow should not totally limit stacking ability,as the plow will ride up on the pile until the plow hits the stops.I usually cut off the stops on our blades to let it come up higher,and stack higher.Check for clearance before doing so.

3. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

I had the same problem with my mm1 . Cut the stops off the head gear and your plow will stack higher.

4. Nozzleman

Nozzleman Senior Member

Thanks for the quick response. Wyldman I was looking at the photo's you posted for John Dimartino and It looked like his V-plow was going up real high when he was stacking so it got me wondering.

It appears my frame sit's level so I may remove the stops that slplow mentioned.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Cutting the stops off will work.Just be careful when stacking as you are putting a lot of force (the weight of the truck +) up into the plow harness when piling high.If you push it too hard,especially with the heavy Cummins,it's not hard to tear up the plow harness,and\or mount.I speak from experience here,as I do it all the time,I just have the facilities to repair them easily.

6. snow_man_48045

snow_man_48045 Senior Member

Stacking Snow

Use your front end loader for staking snow higher, and you won't have to abuse, break, and then repair your equipment. The customer doesn't pay you for repairing, so Why Abuse your equipment. Charge for relocation of snow piles, with loader if your desperate for hight.. The stops are put on for a reason...