1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade height

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by otis, Nov 20, 2008.

1. otis

otis Junior Member
    from idaho

I've been plowing my driveway for years and I've always set the plow blade shoes to only allow like a peice of paper to slide under it when down. I just bought a new Boss and the dealer set the blade with about 1/2" off the ground and told me that was the recomended height. Where do you set your blade?
  2. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

I don't use shoes unless I am plowing a gravel drive, and then it doesn't help much. My plows are either Western or Hiniker.
  3. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

lower than the dealer and higher than you. The shoes have upward give to them on mine because the spacers dont set in firm in place. so a quarter inch turns into a half when you push up on the shoes.

For the shoes, not the blade. Only reason to have the blade off the ground is when your plowing your gravel. Probably why the dealer told you to put them low and keep the blade up.
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  4. otis

otis Junior Member
    from idaho

It sure doesn't make sense to me. At my office my lot is paved and I sure don't want to leave a 1/2" of snow on it. At home it is gravel and like you said it doesn't really matter if I even have shoes on it there.
  5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

take the shoes off and throw them away
  6. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I plow gravel with no shoes with no probabalems.
  7. Grampa Plow

Grampa Plow Senior Member
    from Midwest

Sell the shoes on e-bay! But sell'em cheap!
  8. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

My new Curtis came with shoes. Should I yank em. I will be doing some gravel and some paved driveways. What should I do?
  9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

If the ground is frozen you don't need shoes but if it's not frozen you shoud use shoes JMO.
  10. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

SHOES,SHOSES... Alot cheaper to buy than a cutting edge... I use them,just set them to skim the surface. It does just fine...
  11. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Shoes? shoes?...... I dont need no Stinking Shoes:jester:
  12. cr252many

cr252many Junior Member

The first thing I took off my plow...the shoes! A waste of steel.
  13. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I agree with mercer me