1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade goes up, motor keeps running

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by James48843, Jan 22, 2008.

1. James48843

James48843 Junior Member

This is a Snoway Model 24, about 7 years old.

It is a joystick controlled model. Only use this vehcile in the winter, only plow my own driveway.

In December, I started having problems with lifting the blade. The hydraulic system worked fine, except that when I lift the blade, the lift motor won't stop when I release the joystick. It's like it's stuck in the lift on position.

At first I just wiggled the joystick a couple times, and it seemed to fix it. In the process, however, I damaged the joystick box. Got a new joystick from the OEM and installed it. Same problem- the blade will lift and won't stop unless I unplug the box.

I checked the wiring diagram, got out my multi-meter, and the joystick checks out fine. Current flows where it is supposed to, and doens't where it is not.

So now I am thinking it is a problem with a sticking solenoid. So my quesiton is- does this sound like a sticking solenoid problem?

Before I replace the solenoid, I thought I would ask if anyone has had this before.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Sure sounds like a sticking motor solenoid.

Take your test light and get the motor to keep running again, check the feed wire from the controller to the solenoid, if no power but motor is still running, solenoid is stuck.

3. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

I would agree with Crash that it sounds like a sticking start solenoid.