1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade/frame modifications?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by galaxie428, Dec 9, 2010.

1. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

Has anyone made any modifications to their plow as far as where the pins that mount the blade on the plow frame are located? My problem is that I have a 7’6”pro unimount on my 2005 Dodge ram 2500. We had to fabricate a bracket to mount it because Western did not have a mount for my truck. My truck sits up a little high so the further I rotate the blade left or right, the greater the gap is from the blade to the ground. If I rotate it left, then the far right side is probably 4” off the ground. Doesn’t make for easy plowing at an angle without missing a lot of snow. When the blade is straight, the top of the blade sticks out further than the bottom and this makes the round skid plate on the bottom at such an angle that it can not be use. I wondered about moving this attachment point up about 4 inches or so if that would make a difference. I realize the springs would need to be relocated also. Has anyone done any mods like this and if so, did they work?
  2. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

The A-frame needs to be as close to parallel with the ground as possible. I don't think changing anything where the A-frame meets the plow would be advisable or even work. You need to lower the mounting point on the truck.
  3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

The mount frame distant should be between 9 1/2 and 10 1/2 off the ground. The measurement should be made from the middle of the coupling lug to the ground

This is the only pdf i could find for your truck. Not really sure if this would be you mount.check page #2

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  4. galaxie428

galaxie428 Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I measuerd my distance today and I am at 16". So, am am a lot higher than I should be. On the other hand, since I use my truck for hunting and other things, I am not sure lowering my mount would be a good idea. I don't want to get hung up on anything because of the plow mount. I guess I may just have to live with what I have.