1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade blocking aie flow to radiator

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by unior, Jan 24, 2016.

1. unior

unior Member

Has anyone ever had this problem? My truck was OK plowing yesterday but consistently overheating driving down the road. All hoses and rad get hot so it shouldn't be a thermostat or clogged rad. Thinking about putting an auxiliary electric fan on it this morning.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Chevy truck?

Gas diesl?

Details....

Search overheat

3. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

You're most likely blocking air flow to the radiator. Try driving with the blade down low and angled all the way. Else you can install a deflector to director air flow to the grill.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You really think all these details matter?

5. johnhenry1933

johnhenry1933 Senior Member

Good one dieselss. :waving:

6. 1olddogtwo

At the end of the day, No.

7. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

You expect to much from people.

8. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Silly me. I should stop that.

9. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

If its a GMC/ Chevy 6.0 gas it will probably be the fan clutch, very common problem for it. Fairly easy to replace if your a decent mechanic and not too costly if you take to someone. A couple of ours had that problem would only over heat going down the road.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

this

and this

11. finh2o

finh2o Junior Member

I have the same truck. I have the snow deflector on it. I feel thats the reason why I over heat. I just put some bungees on it.

12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sure you're the first.

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

As some as you said overheating with plow ,Chevy.

14. unior

unior Member

It's an 84 K20 350 gas. I realized the truck is missing a fan shroud...couldn't find a shroud anywhere except for mail order so I rigged an eagle talon electric rad fan up to teh battery to get me through this storm. Now this morning I broke a damn front axle grrr.

15. LapeerLandscape

No fan shroud would do it. Beside it being 32 years old and should be in a parade and probably not plowing.

16. 1olddogtwo

Whoa...... LoL

17. unior

unior Member

It's my work truck for pulling mowing trailer and pushing snow. It's not parade material. You can buy me a nice new chebby and have mine for parades :laughing:

18. unior

unior Member

I wonder what ya'll would say if I told you I welded the mount to the frame :bluebounc

19. LapeerLandscape

I had an 84 K10 with a 6.2 deisel in it. Had almost 280,000 on it when I got rid of it and the guy that got put almost another 100,000 on it before I lost track of it.

20. unior

unior Member

Thats cool. I just started out last May without much capital. I had this truck sitting in the backyard and decided to put it to work. Most parts are dirt cheap for it. Not much power though. This last snow storm I made enough money to pay off my plow. Hopefully next year I can make enough to upgrade to a newer truck.