1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade angle changes while plowing

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bstout, Feb 18, 2009.

1. bstout

bstout Member

Lately I've noticed that my straight blade angle will change on its own as I plow. I move it back to less of an angle and it goes, on its own as far left or right as it can. I'm pretty much stuck with plowing at full blade angle. My fluid level is fine and this is something that just happened recently.

Another thing I noticed is my blade seems to move around on the "A" frame with quite a bit of slop. Maybe this is normal. I can grab my blade when its at full lift and it slops around quite a bit. I'm not sure if I should tighten the large center bolt to snug it up to the "A" frame a little or not.

Any suggestions?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

angle

have you hit any thing hard lately with the outside of the blade ? might have swelled the angle valve . if the nut will tighten go ahead they will loosen up with age ,may or may not have to replace the nut and bolt ,if it wont loosen up or tighten , take the valve out and clean it out ,put it back in and try it .or maybe the pressure relief valve

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  3. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

If you hit something hard, you could have a bent a-frame.

4. Stalkker66

Stalkker66 Junior Member

Well, as far as the "slop" of the moldboard assy while in full lift.....i believe it is normal to have a few inched of slop at the edge of the blade. With the small clearence in the "a"frame, when it reaches the outside points of the blade its approx a few inched of up/down play. That should be ok. As far as the angle returning to full that sounds like the valve is not closing all the way. I would adjust or remove and inspect.

5. bstout

bstout Member

OK, I can't seem to locate my owners manual (must have put it somewhere safe).

Is there a picture on the web somewhere that'll show me where the valve is located?

What's the procedure for adjusting it?

Trial & error?

Bob

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

7. bstout

bstout Member

Thanks, wild bill.

I'm looking on pg. 7 and I take it I should make sure 30B (angle valve) is tight and that 30D (flow control cartridge) is tight. I wonder what 30F (check valve) does?

I can't remember hitting anything with the blade but if I did it may have damaged 30E (relief valve).

Am I thinking correctly?

Bob

Last edited: Feb 20, 2009
  8. bstout

bstout Member

After further reading I see 30D (flow control valve) is for the blade lowering speed. I also see that a person should stand back (keeping toes and other stuff) out of harms way while adjusting the flow control valve. I'll have to look at this stuff tonight when I get home.

Thanks for the replies, gents!

Bob

9. bstout

bstout Member

We had about five inches of the light fluffy stuff yesterday and everything worked perfect. My blade wouldn't hold angle with the wet heavy snow we had a few weeks back. I couldn't find anything loose anywhere so I'm going to leave it alone for now.

Thank you for the lesson on the valves. I learn something new every time I plow.