1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blade angle anger

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by burlingtonplow, Jan 19, 2010.

1. burlingtonplow

burlingtonplow Member

I think I looked at a 100 trucks the past week and noticed my blade on my SD has the worst angle for cutting snow. The curve at the bottom of the blade doesn't seem curved enough. I can't find anywhere what the angle is for this. I know I heard 15 degrees for others. Are there any suggestions to try to improve this curve to scrape better without making something totally custom?

Why so many trucks with HD blades with no cutting edge? Do they not come with them and they never realize they need one or do they do this for another reason

2. Storsy23

Storsy23 Member

HD fisher blades are supposed to run without a cutting edge for a year i guess. i am new to fisher but i guess you are supposed to let the metal on the trip edge grind down so when u put the cutting edge on it scrapes better? i know someone explains it much better than me in another post ill try to find link..

3. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

The trip edge is the cutting edge. Many years ago they were what was replaced. Then people started drilling them and adding 1/2" steel edges over them. Fisher then started punching them for edges. You should let the trip edge wear down about an inch then add a 6" edge to it. Don't go taller then that or you will mess up the geometry.

As for angle, generally the steeper the angle the better the scraping. Meyer plows have pretty steep angles. Best I have even seen is older Pathfinder plows. Fishers are more shallow although the newer X series have been changed. That being said I never had a problem scraping with a Fisher, the heabier weight of the plow makes up for a slightly shallower angle.