1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Blackline plows?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DBM, Nov 15, 2009.

1. DBM

DBM Junior Member

Hi guys, this is my first post.

Does anyone have any experience with the newer style of blackline plows? I've read here some negative comments here, but apparently that involved the older style with the smaller receiver.

What I would like to do is add a plow to my Tracker so I can pick up some residential/small commercial accounts this winter (as a sub contractor). It doesn't snow much here, but when it does it pays well.

If you've got any other suggestions (other than getting a bigger rig, I just got laid off for the winter) I'm all ears. I have the tools and ability to do some simple fabrication but I've been unable to find much for plow equipment that I can adapt around here. (Crossing over to Washington State is an option since I'm only 2hrs from Seattle.)

I welcome and appreciate any help you can provide.

2. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

man im not trying to bust ur balls but a tracker with a little plow isnt really suited to commercial plowing. yes u can do a few driveways but its going to be tough to find a contractor to hire u with that set up. Also its alittle late in the year to try and get set up and hired. Also if it doesnt snow much where you are, would you even be able to pay ur expenses? if u can get work. you are going to spend around 2k for ur plow set up i assume and then insurance (which is a must). i think u need to do alittle thinking and crunch some numbers on this to see if u could even come into the green. Also id start making calls to every contractor around to see if u could even get work with ur set up before u waste ur money. hope this helps. nobody likes to pay to work

3. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

if your willing to part with your tracker and use that money and the money you were going to use to buy the blackline you could get an older 3/4 ton truck with a plow.

4. DBM

DBM Junior Member

Thanks for replying. Unfortunately it's very rare to come across a used plow for sale around here.

The rates here are completely out of whack compared to pretty much anywhere else, but the season is short. I'll get on the horn tomorrow and talk with a couple more guys and see what they think.

I appreciate the feedback, having someone in the biz give an objective opinion really helps.

5. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

where are you located?

6. DBM

DBM Junior Member

Just outside of Vancouver, Canada

7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

Whats a Tracker a four wheeler or something??

8. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

basically, yes. lol :D

9. nekos

nekos Senior Member

It's a 4 wheeler with doors and heat. lol

The old Suzuki Samurai are tanks though ! My god mine just wouldn't die and i tried real hard to kill it ! :dizzy: