1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Black smoke from 00 6.5 diesel

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrodgers, Jun 26, 2006.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Does anyone know why I would be blowing black smoke from my 00 6.5 diesel. It only happens when I have a load or pulling the trailer full. The check engine light comes on and then goes off after a while. I also will lose power and the truck will kind of buck like it is trying to blow something out of the system. Had it to the dealer and they could not find anything or I should say the machine they had it hooked up to couldnt find anything. Whatever happen to diagnosing problems with knowledge and experience. I changed the fuel, air and oil filter and nothing. Truck has about 70,000 miles on it.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This sounds like your FSD/PMD is failing. Are you getting diagnosed by an up-to-date shop with electonic diagnostics? The warranty has been extended for this part for 10 years or (I think) 120,000 miles. Look around on this site using "6.5 TD" or "PMD". Also look over this site: http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Sounds like injectors to me.But do yourself a favor and go to the very best site--Diesel Place----towards the bottom is your engine and I can guarantee your problem is already there just waiting for you to read.:nod:

4. Willy-D8

Willy-D8 Member

Sounds like turbo/wastegate problems to me:)

If the pmd was failing I think there would be more problems with stalling and restarting.

I think if the injectors were failing you would have a misfire condition.

Black smoke from the exhaust is a sure sign of a rich condition ie the waste gate is open too soon and not allowing enough air into the cylinders. It could be the pmd or the injectors or the turbo. Have you truck scanned again and it should throw some codes. This is just my guess. Go to the Dieselplace.com theyre great and can help you with everything. Again this is just my guesstimation of the problem. 6.5's are fun:nod:

Is the lift pump and ops working correctly?

5. hesko1

hesko1 Member

black smoke

Change your air filter/cleaner your not getting enough air. It is the cheapest place to start anyway. I've had this problem more times than i'd like to admit.