1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Black ice and Cal

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Vaughn Schultz, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Does anyone have any experience treating black ice from freezing rain with 32% liquid cal ? I understand that it will not do a damn thing if its still raining but what about after the event? were still new to the liquid cal and I was looking for some input. We have a bunch of salt if needed but I would like to try the cal on this if I can. Thanks

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Never used liquid cal, but using mgic or pot acetate was less than impressive on that kind of ice, one problem with it is that as long as its still raining you are diluting the liquid to a point where it's no longer effective, best bet is burn it off with straight/treated salt.

3. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

never used it , but thats what my math said. If anythng, i would spread a light coating of salt... and consider liquid treating in the morning... its gonna be 9 degrees all day long, so your advantage will be then ...

hey i know alot of us are interested in how you have been doing with the brine, and liquid cal...what do you think so fare?

4. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I'm very happy with it so far. Any direct questions that you have? this way I can try to answer your question(s) rather than just typing a novel on my first year with cal :p

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

well how about your application rate? just trying to get a sense for how much cost saving there is ... have you tried the brine? or just the cal?

6. saynow

saynow Junior Member

vaughn, I have a few questions for you. I got myself set up w/ a lesco space saver converted to spray 32% cal. I have applied it @ 50 gal/acre with fan nozzles and I'm making skating rinks. All of my properties are covered w/ ice. Could you give an example of how you are treating with this recent weather...I see you're in Chi-town, I'm just west of you 2.5 hrs. on the Miss. river. Thanks in advance