1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Black Cylinders

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by SCSLLC, Dec 7, 2008.

SCSLLC Junior Member

My hydrolic cylinders on my Smart Locks Are starting to turn a blackish burnt color instead of nice and shiny any idea what is causing this plow is 4 yrs old 8'2" V.Everthing works great I just noticed the cylinders looked funny
  2. Eyesell

Eyesell 2000 Club Member

Mine turned a darker color about the same time frame as your describing, nothing happen to the performance of the plow, however what was more of a concern was the small nicks in the cylinders. The nicks eventually developed rust, as the rust spot got bigger it wore the "O" ring as it went in and out and started to leak.

I have a new V now and it has the updated cylinders that have a Black protective coating on them, so I don't expect any problems going forward.

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Mine were black from the factory. So was my last vee I had too. Black from the factory.