1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Biz decision,

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mcwlandscaping, Mar 29, 2006.

1. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

I have that ariens snowblower that is in my signiture, next year i expect to be plowing and could really use the room around here if i sold the snowblower. Here is my thinking, to sell the snowblower now, get my plowtruck as planned and get a small 2 cycle one that i can lift into the bed of my truck for walkways. Then if i don't end up with a plow on my truck by the winter, i can just buy a new snowblower, which i would do anyway if i still had to snowblow since i would want a bigger one. Hope this makes sense and if someone could offer some suggestions for YAY or NAY to my plan, i would appreciate it, thanks

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Mike, you need to give some real serious thought to this. I checked your profile - you were 15 when you signed up last September, so I assume you'll be 16 when you want to start plowing. Will you really be able to afford a truck and a plow? Have you got any jobs lined up that will require a truck and plow? Are you going to have commercial insurance and liability insurance - you're regular vehicle insurance will be insufficient and your parents' policy will not cover it, either. Unless you have the proper insurance coverage, you will have NO insurance coverage. Are you going to have TIME for any plowing, with school commitments? Would you be better off just having accounts you can do with a snowblower? There are many expenses related to plowing, beyond the purchas costs. If you already have accounts you're doing with the blower, why not expand on that, rather than take off in a whole new direction?

My advice - take a sheet of paper and make two columns. First - Snowblower and below that - Pros and Cons. Then - Truck and Plow - below that - Pros and Cons. Be realistic and you'll get your answer. Then make up a rudimentary Business Plan which will outline your startup and ongoing costs. Then outline potential income with "breakeven points". If you need help with that, go to the Small Business Administration site: http://www.sba.gov/

3. mcwlandscaping

I will easily have the money for truck + Plow, i will have the time no problem, i don't know if its possible to get insured at my age, if i can then i sure will be insured commecially and will have the money for it as well, ill make sure of it. I think i answered my own question about the snowblower, 1)if im plowing ill only want a small 2 cycle one i can lift in the bed of the truck 2) if i am snowblowin for another season, then ill want something bigger so i can take on more accounts, so, im going to sell it!! MICK, thank you very much, your post was very helpful.......anyone know if it is even possible for me (ill be 16 in a few months with drivers lisense) to get insured by myself, if not, can i get insured through my dad? I really appreciate the help

4. plowed

plowed Senior Member

Commercial ins age requirement is 18.

5. mcwlandscaping

thought so, thanks, the truck i may be buying already has a plow on it and will use it for my own drive, but i think ill be snowblowin my customers drives, thanks guys!

6. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

At least here in MN even a truck with a plow for personal use MUST be listed on the policy and I think it's a 30% rate increase just for owning one! And if they would catch you using it commercially or with a business name on the truck it's an automatic policy cancellation, or lack or coverage if and when something happens!