1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Biweekly Payroll?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by ajordan193, Jan 2, 2012.

1. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Our hours during the winter are very spread out just like everyone in this business. I asked my payroll company to switch to biweekly during the winter since its not worth running payroll for only a few hours. They advised me against this since we are in a manual labor business and our workers should be paid each week. Also mentioned that if I were audited this would throw up a red flag. Anyone else run into this?

2. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

They want you to pay every week for the payroll

3. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Only if there is payroll. I have some guys that are paid a seasonal amount during the winter. Doesn't make sense paying $50 to run payroll each week with only a limited amount of hours going through.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

BS, we run payroll every two weeks. makes NO difference if you're blue collar or white collar, it doesn't "throw up any red flags" they just want to squeeze every dime they can out of you.

5. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

They don't want to loose out on any money the payroll service that is.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Agreed on the BS. Unless you can get a better explanation, then do it Bi-Weekly.

If it were me, and my accountant isn't looking out for my better interests, then I would can them in a heartbeat.

7. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

My thoughts exactly....thanks guys for the info

8. Boomer123

Boomer123 Senior Member

Are they going to charge more for doing payroll on a Biweekly basis

9. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

Also, something to think about.....

If you pay your guys year round bi-weekely, that is 26 payments, but if you pay them only twice a month such as the 15th and 30th, that is only 24 payments.

My payroll from ADP is $41 for 3 guys

10. BOSS LAWN

BOSS LAWN Senior Member

x2 on that, I run it every two weeks all year round.payup

11. ajordan193

ajordan193 Senior Member
    from WNY

Thanks guys I just switched to biweekly for payroll. Might keep it year round like mentioned above.

12. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Yeah I do biweekly year round also. Why pay to have it done twice as much, or why take the time to do payroll if you do it yourself 2x as much? Lots of companies do biweekly in every area of business. I consider it the norm, but I may be out to lunch. Too bad, thats what I do lol and if they don't like it, they can go find a job somewhere else :gunsfiring:

13. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure it is legal to switch back and forth without notifying your employees. It is also going to cause them more stress which is going to cause you more stress if you keep switching constantly.

Pick a payroll period and stick with it. I recommend biweekly, we tried semi-monthly and that is a PITA. 2 weeks gives you 80 hours regular time and OT is easy to determine. Not so with twice a month. Or semi-monthly, whatever it is called.

14. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Every other week here. Saves time and money