1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bit the Bullet on a New SD 6.4L have ???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Case580M, Nov 25, 2008.

1. Case580M

Case580M Senior Member

Made a commitment to buy a new 2008 SD SC LB 6.4L, will be picking it up this friday.

My questions are:

Been leaning towards a 9'2" Boss V XT. Goods or bads?
    Was thinking of a 810 but dealer's service sucks and is 200+ miles away. Other brand suggestions?

Also whats the preferred control, joy or touch and why?

Anyone familiar with Traction control for plowing, good bad or ugly?
    It is equipped with the 3:73 Limited Slip

Do most plow in 4whl or 4 low? (auto trans)

To the Ford Guys-are you using the upfitter switches for plow lights etc?
  2. csx5197

csx5197 Senior Member

I plow with 4 hi and seems to work fine. I would imagine you'll be fine using it too. Also go with whats closest for you dealer wise. If something does break you won't have to travel far. The Boss is pretty good from what I read, but I'm a fisher guy, sorry. I also like the joystick, because I don't have to hold it. Probably depends on what your plowing or what you've used in the past. Your traction control should be fine. And since you'll have new tires you'll be alright too.

Are you getting a 250? 350? Duallie? Thats a long truck and I'm not sure what you'll be plowing. Hopefully something were you don't need to maneuver around too much
  3. DCSpecial

DCSpecial Senior Member
    from IL

I like the Boss 9'2" V XT......that's what I just bought in Oct. Haven't gotten a chance to use it yet. I bought it for versatility and since it's supposed to throw the snow pretty good.

Joystick is easier to use, IMO. I bought a pedestal mount to mount it in the truck.

Never driven any vehicle with traction control to help you there.

I use 4x4 hi.
    tow/haul mode is nice on the auto trans.

I currently have my PIAA Back Up lamps that are in my rear bumper mounted to one of the upfitters.
    Planning on using another for some LEDs.
    And another for the PIAA lights in my front bumper.
  4. Chaos

Chaos Member

On record, Ford states in the manual to push snow in LOW.

Off the record, I always push in hi, unless the snow is wet and heavy. Or I wanna show off the powahhhh

Seriously though, you SHOULD use Low whenever you push, it will save your tranny.

5. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

I really like it, but I have nothing to compare it to. Next truck may get a Sno-Way - the Mega V or Revo. Basher showed me the Mega V and I was suitably impressed.

I used the standard controller included with the XT, in the handheld. Might consider the pedestal mount. Don't have any problems with the controls themselves, so I don't know if I'd try the joystick. I always figured if I really couldn't stand the standard controls, I'd branch out from there.

The Sno-Way controller was really cool - loved the job clock built into it.

I believe the traction control is disabled in 4WD, and that's all I use while plowing. I drop it into 4W low when I feel like it needs it.

If I had done the install, I would have used an upfitter switch for the plow lights, but the guys who installed it gave me the Boss-supplied piece. I'll likely use them when I get around to wiring the strobes and/or backup lights. Not really sure how I'll end up configuring that, though.