1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bison Turf may not be a Snow Dogg Snow Plow distributor anymore?

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by TonawandaNY, Aug 17, 2009.

1. TonawandaNY

TonawandaNY Senior Member

I went down to Bison Turf in Tonawanda NY today to buy a new Snow Dogg for my 05 Ram 1500. The guy at the counter tells me Snow Dogg is having second thoughts about allowing them to carry their product. The only other Snow Dogg dealer within 90 miles of me is in Rochester, a 60+ mile ride away.

What gives Snow Dogg? I was told to call back in a couple of days and see what happens.

If Snow Dogg pulls the plug on Bison Turf, then I geuss I am going to have to get a different plow or find another way to make money this winter...

There are 3 Douglas Dynamic dealers around. I did not want to spend 4300.00 on a plow this winter though..

2. DSLL

DSLL Senior Member

I believe the place in Lockport sells Snow Dogg. It's on Robinson between transit and the bypass.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What about the Jamestown dealer?

4. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Man that sucks to hear....hope it turns out for you

5. TonawandaNY

You and I both know Jamestown is 2 far to drive when it is snowing like crap and your plow is broke. Driving into Jamestown from Buffalo is about a 2 hr ride when it is nice out.

The closest dealer if Bison does not keep the Snow Dogg line will be rochester, that is 60+ miles away..

Not that I am expecting a brand new plow to break. However, stuff does happen sometimes.

Steve

6. grandview

That's true but are either dealer even open 24 hrs during a storm?

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I thought Buyers/Snow/Scopp & Salt Dogg put everyone with a door and a on/off sign on as dealers? They do in my area!

8. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

mullis56 - SnowDogg (and ScoopDogg) have VERY limited distribution. It's not like SaltDogg and our other stuff.

As far as Bison goes, take anything you hear with a big grain of salt. Bison's a great dealer - and good dealers don't get "fired". I'm not in the loop on this, but there are a lot of things that go on behind the scenes that you'll never see...

9. TonawandaNY

I got this information directly from one of the people at Bison. He did not know why there was an issue as much as he was told there is some sort of a diasagreement going on between Bison and Snow Dogg. He had plows and scoops on order but they were not being delivered.

So if you can get an inside scoop on what is going on at the Snow Dogg end that would be helpful. I have money to burn and want to buy the snow dogg 7'6" HD.

I wonder if it is because they also carry the Air-Flow brand which is an all stainless plow.

Grandview- Your right about the 24hr deal. I only have 1 truck and it is just me doing the driving.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  10. TonawandaNY

I think I have the scoop! Granted i could be wrong but here is my .02.

Bison carry's Blizzard, Blizzard is a Douglas Dynamics product and everyone just said " Steve tell me something we dont know" :)

Snow Dogg and Douglas Dynamics are in a patent infringement suit because allegedly Snow Dogg violated some patents in the development and design of there plows which belong to Douglas Dynamics.

I got this from a local Douglas Dynamics supplier, it is laying on their counter.

Frankly, I dont really care about the lawsuit. I will say that the Snow Dogg mounting to the mold board looks alot like the Western Pro plow. I like the Snow Dogg Plow and even more I like its price point. I dont like there are not many dealers in the area.

I geuss it all comes down to whether or not Snow Dogg is going to allow Bison to keep selling product.

11. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Obviously I can't comment much on the issue. I'm the guy who designed most of the plow from the ground up, and I will say that the claims are completely without merit. This will all be resolved, and the SnowDogg will remain.
    That letter was intended to accomplish one thing, and apparently it worked... :rolleyes:

SM

12. TonawandaNY

smoorman,

I dont honestly care one way or the other if the claims are valid. If they are valid, then snow dogg will pay fines and life caries on! If they are not valid then life goes on as normal.

I know Snow Dogg needs to do one thing if they want my business! They need to get on the ball and resolve what ever differences your having with Bison Turf or I will be buying a Fisher or a Western before the week is over!

Bison Turf is the only close Snow Dogg dealer around me.

If they go get canned as one of your distributors or if you dont settle the dispute before Friday, I will be buying a different make plow from some where else.

Keep in Mind, Bison Turf has only said good things about Snow Dogg. He claims he has sold over 70 HD plows in 2 years and none have come back for service. The letter I was speaking of was not at Bison Turf it was at a different dealer. Bison wants your business. I want your plow. I wont and cant wait for the snow to fall for your company to figure it out.

13. apik1

apik1 Senior Member

I live in Tonawanda, and I would drive to Jamestown or Rochester before I ever deal with bison turf.

14. TonawandaNY

How come apik1?

Have you had bad experiences with them? If you dont want to slam them on the net then PM me.

It may save me aggravation in the long run.

Ever deal with Kaminski's? I went and looked at a used Fisher SD yesterday.

Steve

15. grandview

Kaminski's supplies a few of the towns with plows and I heard they do a good job for them. Haven't heard from any guys yet.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Could be Bison doesn't want to buy as many plows as Buyers wants for a minimum order.

Snowdogg requires a 20 unit minimum purchase. They will probably sell to anybody willing to make a 20 unit purchase.

I would not install a HD on a 1500 Dodge. Dodge does not support plows on 1500 trucks. That's a lot of plow for a Dodge 1500

And you should not care about the lawsuit, if DD is suing SD it wouldn't matter to the dealer. That is a matter between DD, Buyers and the courts. It would not effect dealers unless they managed to get a cease and desist order on future sales, not likely. It sounds more like DD is making bison decide which plow line they want to carry and are using scare tactics to do it. Maybe laying a line like If you buy the snowdogg and we win we will stop SD sales so you will not have a plow to sell because we will not sell to you anymore. Which is BS, SD could (IF they are found to have copied patented products) have to pay DD a licensing fee for units sold and be forced to redesign or pay licensing fees for use of the design. Putting them out of the snowplow business is not going to happen. This is much different then Boss's (successful) suit against Western over the Vee where the courts made DD stop selling the vee until the patents expired. In that case the entire unit concept was patented not just one or two small parts. Lots of manufacturer's moldboard mountings are similar to westerns. I do not know how you could patent a clevis and pin attachment system, they are prevalent in too many places on about any type of equipment. It would be like filing suit for use of a chain lift system.

Or then again maybe Bison doesn't want to buy into two manufacturer's minimum purchase requirements.

17. TonawandaNY

The lawsuit info.

http://dockets.justia.com/docket/court-wiwdc/case_no-3:2009cv00261/case_id-22267/

Does not tell you much without a login id other than the day it was filed and why. If I go back out that way I will see if I can get a copy. It wont be until next week unless i go buy the fisher plow.

I am trying to still stick contracts for this year.

I will call my dealer about the warraunty info. I was under the impression that there is a federal law which states something to the effect-

Manufacturers, like auto builders, can not void the warruanty because accessories are mounted without proving the accessory is what caused the failure and without the accessory the part would not have failed.

That could be a hard to prove that a transmission failed due to a plow and nothing was internally wrong with it until the plow was mounted unless a certified representative from the manufacturer disabled the entire truck did highly technical examination of every part prior to its mounting of the accessory.

I will try and find they name of the law. I dont think Dodge can legally suspend my warruanty for putting a plow on.

Thanks for the responce

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't confuse the results of K&N suit with effecting Federal statue. You can not by law exceed certain parameters according to the FVMSSA. Particularly the 105 brake certifacation. If you install a plow beyond the parameters of what is allowed Dodge can certainly disallow your warranty in fact they would be remiss not to considering you have "broken" federal law by installing that much weight on the front axle creating a dangerous condition. Particularly if they state the vehicle is not applicable for snow plow use. The Dodge Power wagon Regular cab long bed is an example. The window sticker states "warranty void if plow installed"

But it could be a moot point as Snowdogg is not listing a fit for your truck on the website

http://www.snowdoggplows.com/ASPPlowSelector/index.asp

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  19. TonawandaNY

I agree it is a probably a mute point because I am more than likely going to either end up with a western midweight from Casullo's or a Fisher SD from Kaminski's.

Here is the output of the snowdogg plow setup for a regular.

My truck is a:
    2005 DODGE RAM 1500 REG CAB 6.3' BOX with a 4.7L V8 engine.

GVWR
    FAWR
    RAWR

6350 3900 3900

3. My Parts Listing:
    Part # Description
    Moldboard: 16020520 HD75 MOLDBOARD
    Lift Frame: 16011000 EX/HD LIFTFRAME ASM
    Truck Mount: 16063120 DODGE RAM 1500, '02-'05, HD
    Light Adapter: 16071120 HB5 (9007)

Min. Ballast: 1000

Here is is for a quad-cab, which is what I have. The difference being snow dogg says you should use the md instead of the hd with the quadcab because if you have passengers in the vehicle with the plow on it may exceed your gross vehicle weight depending on the weight of the passengers.

2005 DODGE RAM 1500 QUAD CAB 6.3' BOX with a 4.7L V8 engine.

GVWR
    FAWR
    RAWR

6350 3900 3900

3. My Parts Listing:
    Part # Description
    Moldboard: 16020420 MD75 MOLDBOARD
    Lift Frame: 16015000 MD LIFTRAME ASM
    Truck Mount: 16063125 DODGE RAM 1500, '02-'05, MD
    Light Adapter: 16071120 HB5 (9007)

Min. Ballast: 80

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

My bad, must have had a system issuse as I could not get FAWR/RAWR to load.

So you're buying a DD unit, what your deciding factor $$$ or Trip edge vs Full trip?