1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bio DIESEL....

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by Reliable Snow and Ice, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Reliable Snow and Ice

Reliable Snow and Ice Senior Member

hey who on here runs bio diesel and if so what percentage do you run???

2. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

You might want to rephrase that question, because a lot of the pumps around Chicago have bio-diesel/bio-mass of 5 - 20% mixed in. The pumps should be marked at or near that sticker which identifies the pump containing ultra low sulfur diesel fuel. I only run the "mixed" fuel in two trucks and the rest get straight/pure diesel fuel.

Just my .02¢

3. Reliable Snow and Ice

oh i know they do between 5 and 20% I'm looking to find B100 and try to run that and see how she run's...

and if she runs good then I'm going to move to just that

4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Your 6.9 will run on B-100. You might have to replace some of the fuel lines (B-100 is hard on older rubber lines.) I would also never run B100 in the winter, It gell's way to easy.
    I run B-20 in my trucks during the summer. Runs just fine but smells a little weird out the pipe.
    Robert

5. Reliable Snow and Ice

well alot of the stations are all ready running 20% bio now so i really want to get ahold of b100

6. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

How come we dont get any of that in NJ I would love to run straight b-100 in my truck

7. Reliable Snow and Ice

to run straight B100 you have to make it your self or get it from some one who does

8. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

I have been running b-20 in my van for the last year or so and there has been no diffrence at all in the way the van runs. I was a little concerned at first about how the high tech Mercedes built motor would react, but after 50,000 miles on bio, I see no adverse effects.

B-100 is hard to find around here but there is a co-op about 20 miles from here out in the country that has it. I stopped in there a few times but I'm not out there enough to run it on a regular basis.

9. Reliable Snow and Ice

but you have run B100 in your truck???

10. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

I make my own in the summer time been doing it for 2 years I run 100% in the summer it smells like a french fry out the exhaust but its good for lubrication and its alot cheaper then the pump

11. Reliable Snow and Ice

now did you lose or gain mileage when ur using B100 over regular diesel?

12. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Purchase and carry some extra fuel filters too. If you put b100 in that older truck, it will clean the lines/tank real quick.

I dont run Biodiesel, but I have 100,000 miles on waste vegetable oil. I use it all year around and have done so for about 5 years.

You wont have a significant change in mileage or HP.

13. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

do you make your own?

14. Reliable Snow and Ice

so you just get waste veg oil filter it and put it in ur tank and drive on down the road

15. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

^ you have to refine it look it up on youtube dirty jobs did a segment on it

16. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

I made my own bio for 5 years, but gave it up as it's like a second job. Spent a lot of time gathering, processing, etc. Also, methanol went through the roof when I decided to get out. Methanol will be your biggest cost, but have no idea what it's running at now, I've been away from it for over a year.

I've got 3 diesels, F350, VW TDI, and Smart. VW loved it, F350 tolerated it, and Smart hated it.

Mileage wise you will lose a few miles per gallon because the cetane level isn't as high, but you will gain on better lubrication.

17. Wieckster

Wieckster Senior Member

i think the last 55 gal meth I bought was 185

18. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Probably was. Two points:

1. I've been out of it for over a year.
    2. I live in Canada, prices are significantly higher.

19. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

Yes, I collect and process my own oil. I have for a number of years.

Uh, no. I have built and installed conversion kits for myself and others ranging from 7.3 PSD'd, a Duramax and countless VW TDI's. The modifications are bit extensive and somewhat complex, but certainly managable. The most important part is cleaning the oil. I built a gravity feed centrifuge that is automated.

PM me if interested in some links to websites or google "WVO"

20. damian

damian Senior Member

not worth the trouble,lower power,lower mileage- fact.tough on filters-less lubricity-fact.more gelling.we stopped using bio and veggie is way to much work and not good in heui or common rail systems.older mechanical systems tolerate and i mean tolerate veggie but it aint ideal,good for a hobby maybe or a warm climate dwelling hippy peacenick with time on his hands.