1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

binding problem on 97 f-250 hd

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by mrplow37, Oct 8, 2005.

1. mrplow37

mrplow37 Junior Member

I had a lot of play in steering and the binding problem no matter which way I turned it would not come back on its own had to bring it back. replaced steering box and pitman arms still does it alittle bit but it seems to go away after it gets warmed up. was wondering could it be also the power steering pump going bad dont know what else to change or look at. any help would be nice

hbg pa
  2. RYDER

RYDER Senior Member

It sounds like the ps pump.
  3. tommyo

tommyo Junior Member
    from n.va.

Fixed???only time will tell

Have the same problem with my 96 F-250 "Intermitantly".Found a dry ball joint, lower right front. Soaked it with 5-56 .No more binding for the past 4 months.:drinkup:
  4. chas4x4

chas4x4 Senior Member

I have the same truck and it happened to me too,it was the ball joints that were binding,tried to lube them did not work very long,and before I knew it,it ruined the power steering pump and had to replace that also.
  5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Jack it up and see if anyone side has a lot of slop. The wheel should not movement at all when you apply torque top to bottom. Your tie rods and other joints should have no movement also. If you can move it by hand It's probaly shot! Replacement ball joints and tie rods should have grease fittings, but may have never been greased because service centers book's say it's not needed. Plow trucks are hard on stuff anyway so expect stuff to wear out! I get about 2 years out of my F250's parts.
  6. ironworks01

ironworks01 Member

You have a bad ball joint or One of tour frontwheel u joints is dry and frozen. I see these trucks alot with this problem.
    good luck