1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bilsteins or shock extenders

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mr. Jon, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I have a 2007 NBS 3500HD with t-bars cranked up about 1 3/4", shimmed timbrens (thanks to B&B) and have an 8' Western Pro Plus with wings. Seems like the skocks are hitting max extension when I hit a pothole or dip in the road. I found shock extensions from Cognito for $30. Or I can get longer Bilstein shocks for about $160. Should I go for the new shocks or save $$ and just get the extensions?
  2. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

Had same issue with OBS. Went the Bilsteins route. That said, I think I would've gotten the same result with the extensions and saved some money. Really comes down to want you want on the truck. If you don't put the Bilsteins on, will you always say to yourself after every bump "I wonder if the Bilsteins would've been better". If you do, then after every bump will you say "Thankfully I have the Bilsteins". How do you really feel about stock stuff? If you think stock = inferior then get the Bilsteins. Otherwise, save $$ and get the extensions.
  3. dmcenery

dmcenery Member

Mr. Jon,

Do you have any before and after pics of your truck? If so please post them. I'd like to see how it currently holds the plow with those modifications to the frond end.

4. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Sorry I don't have any before pics. I used to take pics of my trucks, but now pics are taken of the kids instead! How life changes with marraige & kids. My plow is hooked on as we are expecting snow tomorrow & tomorrow night. I'll take some pics in the morning with the plow down & plow raised and post them on here.
  5. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Sorry it took so long. Here are pics with the plow down and up. Front end drops 3/4".

GMC 018.1.jpg

GMC 021.1.jpg