1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

billing

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by shott8283, Dec 4, 2009.

1. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

how often (frequency) do you guys send out bills (for per push/hourly that is)

just wondering what you let your acounts balance get up to before you need to start seeing some cash come back in?

2. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

when snow is flying i might go four or five days...when it's like the season is now, i usually bill after each event in case we go a few days without seeing snow or ice

3. redman6565

of course, monthly contracts are billed at the first of every month, due by the end

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I do per-push and bill at the end of the month.
    it takes too much time to do it after every storm.

5. redman6565

you like to wait till the very end of the month? see i can't do that, i have to do the costing right away and when i cost, i do the billing, this way its accurate and i don't forget anything

6. cplmac

cplmac Senior Member
    from Dundee

Does anyone have an invoice template they would be willing to share? I just now realized I don't have an invoice to send.... Seriously....

7. redman6565

you can make one easy enough on word or excel

8. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

If you have Microsoft Word, you can make one in there from one of their templates, and you can customize it however you like. Worked for me in the beginning. Just open Word, go to Help, click Microsoft Word Help and in the search field type invoice template. It will walk you through it. Really easy and it's free.

9. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

or quick-books has good invoicing. we are the same we bill the last day of the month for all services. we do track and cost our storms per event but we bill at the end of month for simplicity and it would take forever to bill all our customers after each storm.

10. redman6565

quickbooks is relatively cheap too...not putting you down or anything but if you are a "legit" business, you should look into quick books for keeping track of your books.

11. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

Everyone gets billed the 1st of each month

12. DCL

DCL Member

I have also yet to decide on when to bill. We do not get many events and so I am leaning towards billing after every storm. As for quickbooks. We would be lost with out it. Really is the best. Real easy to learn and its great for invoicing as well as keeping track of absolutly everything. Highly recommend it.

13. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I still don't know how you guys can bill after every storm. I understand "work, get paid" I get it. But don't you think that your customers see you a desperate? Not bagging on anyone, but the rest of the world (utilities) bills monthly. Maybe I'm doing it wrong because I still have a customer (ex-customer) that owes me $$$.

14. redman6565

A lot of smaller customers, i.e. gas stations, mom and pop shops, like the billing every couple events because it's easier for them to pay versus having one large bill that they know they can't swallow at once.

the larger contracts don't really care either way so i continue to bill them the same way to keep everyone on the same cycle

15. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

no m&m the majority of companies bill at the end of the month for services. I'm not saying anything bad about a company that bills per event, but one customer that we picked up this year said her only complaint about the guy who did it last year was she would get so many bills from him because he would bill her after every storm and sometimes daily. so i guess to each their own, but i prefer monthly billing, shows that you are organized, and more financially sound. per event billers please don't be offended i'm not insulting anyone just my opinion on this subject. you don't risk any more or i should say any bigger loses in the event of non payment or bankruptcies if you have 1 invoice for $100 to 20 for $2000.00 just more paperwork to file.

16. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

redman if you send them 1 invoice for 500 or 5 invoices for 100 each during the month isn't it the same money to spend??

17. redman6565

yes, but it is easier to pay 100 on the 5th, 100 on the 10th, etc. then 500 by the end of the month

18. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

i agree it would be easier for them to pay in installments through out the month but it's still the same amount of money to pay in a 30 day period. If we have a big month i let our smaller customers pay their bills in payments. example Joe's corner market billed $500 for December. pays $250 in Jan then $125 Feb and march this helps them and i don't have to worry much about non payments.

19. redman6565

i guess its all about how you set it up...i sort of walked into this set up from my old man, so the customers like it, so i continued it

20. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

i hear you, again dont take offense, if everything worked for everyone we would all do it right? i'm a firm believer if we all where supposed to do the same thing, there would be one job and we would all have it.