1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by bigboss1977, Nov 10, 2011.

1. bigboss1977

bigboss1977 Senior Member
    from Utah

When we bill out we give our customer 15 days to pay. What is everyone else doing? I have a new customer this year for a hotel. Haven't received payment yet and its going into the 20th day. Only been doing the snow removal business a couple of years and haven't had to deal with this yet. They did sign my contract which explained billing terms, late fees, collection, and that we reserve the right to cancel their services with us for none payment. I've heard that their in financial trouble and I just don't want to continue to push.their snow if we are going to get bent over. Any input would be great.

Thanks

2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

5 days....I wouldn't be worried quite yet. Maybe the person in charge of writing the checks is on vacation........and id be very very careful about stopping service on a property. You are better off hiring an attorney to collect than you are to fight a slip and fall.....unless your contract is bulletproof....which most aren't.

3. smash363636

smash363636 Junior Member

a friendly phone call never hurts. if it was me i would worry after 30+ days late

4. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I put net 15 on invoices, don't get upset or charge late fees till 30 (also have a few that are net 45).

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You can put what you want on it,but if it's a corporate hotel anywhere from 30-60 days for payment.

6. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I give 10 days for payment. 80% of my customers abide by it. The other few always pay within 30 so I don't hassle it. If I were you I would give it 30 days then make a phone call.

7. mpgall26

mpgall26 Senior Member

What has been peoples experience or knowledge of cancelling service and the liability associated. My contract states 10days late 10%(which I've never charged) and 15 days cancels contract. Seems pretty striaghtforward to me. There is a trust that oversees my charges and it's not like only 1 person is aware and was kidnapped. Should I reconsider my response for late/non-payment??

8. grandview

If you need to get your money that fast you might need to look at your business profile.

9. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Payment Due Upon Receipt.

I've been doing that for years for both lawncare/landscape and plowing. People still take their time paying though. It seems like we're always the last guys to get paid.

10. grandview

A lot of business only write checks on the 1st and 15th ,but most take 30 days to pay which is fine by me.

11. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I send net on receipt. There's an understanding that 30 days is acceptable 60 warrants a phone call. If you become a frequent slow payer you go Cash upfront. Never had to demand cash upfront. I explain it in the 60 day phone conversation.

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

60 days would warrent a punch in the face! Seriously though, if payment isn't received after 30 days I get pissed, there's no normal reason to not pay within 30 days.