1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing what to do? 4" of snow but plowed twice...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GSS LLC, Feb 10, 2014.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

snow started falling shortly after noon on friday. with 15-30 mph winds. we went out friday around 330 to clear apartment lots off before people started coming home. then went home for the night and woke up again around 330 to go clear the lots again from the snow that had fallen along with the snow that blew back into the lot from the high winds.

accounts are per push. so, only 4" of snow fell, but over a long period of time and with high winds. I was going to bill for 2 separate pushes. but i dont want to piss the property managers off by billing twice for a 4" storm.

what would plowsite do?
  2. skorum03

skorum03 2000 Club Member

What does the contract say? Are you supposed to open up the lot at 2" like you did right before everyone got home from work? If thats the case, then I wouldn't worry about billing them twice because they probably would have complained about you not plowing
  3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

its a 2 inch trigger. but on a normal overnight snow of 4" it would only be pushed once. i think im right, but dealing with new property managers really stresses me out. because everyone has their own way of "whats right"
  4. skorum03

If its a two inch trigger then i would say bill them twice and if they complain explain your reasoning and lay out what will or will not be done going forward
  5. skorum03

How much money would you lose if you don't bill for the second push?
  6. NThill93

NThill93 Member

how about plow and a half?
  7. skorum03

This ^ is always a safe bet when indecisive
  8. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

2 visits bill twice But its what your contact reads
  9. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I bill for everything, except touch ups if im checking the site. That being said I would bill twice.
  10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

The property managers view of "what's right" will ALWAYS be the cheaper of the 2 choices...hence they want you to bill them once for 4".

I would bill for 2x. Not only that, but I've always billed it that way! Could you risk pissing the manager off? Yes. The way I've looked at it over the years is I want to offer a high quality of service, the people that live at these types of places want that, but the property managers often(not always) want the cheapest service.
  11. skorum03

And unfortunately it usually takes them hiring someone that is half price and does an awful job to realize that they pay for quality
  12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Oh, they'll keep hiring someone new every year, they don't care. They usually live somewhere else anyway.
  13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

if they question the double billing, tell them that with the wind it was creating drifts that would create problems
  14. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Your contract says 2" trigger. That answers your question. Don't explain anything unless they ask. And if they do ask, tell them you plowed at 2" per the contract and then plowed a second time for the second 2", per the contract.

Don't blame it on the wind blowing it back in, or anything else. It snowed 4". Your contract says plow at 2" and you get paid per push. Charge per your contract. Do not charge 1/2 for the second time. You will set yourself up for having to do that every time. Charge for two pushes. End of conversation.
  15. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

when I go in a lot to open it up I bill it out as a pass through... and it gets billed out as a pass through and 4" storm. only during the afternoon do I do pass throughs when there open. if storm is over during the day I plow it off as good as I can with cars in the way, then come back after hours to clean up.. Then they get billed for a clean up also..
  16. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

yup, 2" trigger, 4" snow total, 2 visits = 2 bills
  17. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Are they long term customers? Do they pay on time? Do you like them?

This type of winter i would bill cheap as possible...

I have been giving breaks as much as possible..

$$$$$ Record setting winter for me
  18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

With all the snow everyone is having and going out alot ,guys are afraid to bill these places to much in fear of losing them. That will always happen, the fear. So with that plow and bill twice.
  19. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

bill as cheap as possible. are you in business or are you doing it for a hobby. every client pays FULL PRICE for every service PERIOD.

it's been a record setting winter for me as well which depending on spring, summer and fall with be a record setting year for me. but that doesn't mean you go giving breaks and freebies to people. we are in business, not a charity.

personally i invoice all clients with per push no matter how many inches there are.

now since i only do residential i would be waiting until all 4 inches came down but i understand with commercial you can't do that.

that being said i would invoice them for 2 visits and be done with it. it shouldn't be a problem if the agreement is already per push.
  20. ratherbfishin

ratherbfishin Senior Member

Exactly the way I have operated for 25 years now on all my per push lots.

first push=full
    second push= half
    third push=full...and so on

I feel it fair for all and avoids issues like this!