1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing what the best

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TreeBusters, Oct 1, 2013.

1. TreeBusters

TreeBusters Junior Member

Hello I am new to the plow industry and we just bought a 6'7" plow I believe to put on a 1990 f250. I think this plow will work ok to get us started, we are planning on doing commercial lots like a couple business' we do maintenance at. I have done non stop research on what the best way to bill and how much to bill I have seen methods that bill by every 2 inches and all year contracts but I don't know what is the best way to bill. I would appreciate any suggestions on the billing and anything else some one may think would be relevant for a 'Newbie" Thanks

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I bill once a month 90% of my contacts are monthly billing Some pays per visit all them are cash

3. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

Not really sure what you are fully looking for but here is a reply to try and cover a lot.

My family owns a small apartment building that has a very small parking lot and it is serviced in the contract every 3". We pay $100 for every three inches of snow that there is. So if theres 9 inches we pay $300. The contractor my aunts and mother hired sends a bill every storm (about 5-7 days after we will receive it and it will be due in 30 days).

Some like Antler are monthly bills.

4. TreeBusters

TreeBusters Junior Member

That's much appreciated info I am just pretty much trying to cover all basis on the billing process. I have plowed before and I have a technique that works. Like I said I have been told to bill every storm every 2", but I am still struggling to price some of the bigger lots. In the tree industry we generally need to make 100 dollars an hour for my partner and I to make a profit and cover expenses, some jobs vary of course if its harder or easy. So I have that concept down and would like to relay that process with the plowing so I guess I need an hourly breakdown of a rate that will be competitive. I appreciate any trade tricks as well. Thanks

5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

One trick is to have a big plow faster you clean more money you make your 6.7 plow will eat your profit up

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Ok. Nothing to do with billing. But your putting a 6'7 on a f250. Your tires will always be on snow. Might wanna rethink the plow size

7. jhall22guitar

jhall22guitar PlowSite.com Addict

My input would be a bigger plow as the others have said. a 6'7 is VERY small for a F250. I would go get a 8'6 or a 9'2 V plow or similar (as long as the truck can handle it) But you are very right that you do need to make a certain dollar value per hour in order to make money, just don't low ball others or yourself, no sense in losing money.

8. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Again, irrelevant to your question but if you "believe" the plow to be 6'7 then you need to walk outside and measure the damn thing.

Second. If you "think" it will be ok to get you started then you really need to re-think this decision.

Harsh but honest.