1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing...Weather Info

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by PerfiCut L&L, Feb 17, 2006.

1. PerfiCut L&L

PerfiCut L&L Senior Member

Do you include any weather data with your invoices?

I've had two customers call questionsing their bills, one with regards to depth of snow, the other in regards to salting.

I usually put a line on the bottom of the invoice that includes the total recorded depth for that snow event. Im thinking about including either a copy or an exerpt from the NWS's page which shows all the data for that event, depths at times, temperatires (highs and lows), this way the customer can better understand what was done and why.

Just wonderig what you do.

This is the first time Ive realy had any complaints, and I want to try elleviate any further instances, as well as provide the customer with as much info as possible so they might be able to answer their own questions.

2. bcf

bcf Senior Member

I just put in the amount of snow as you do. Have never had any discrepancies. If I did, it would probably lead to me dropping the account. I've never had to explain to a customer how I got the total snowfall amount, but I just measure three times in their drive, never near the street. If anything, I'll round down in case of drifts.

3. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

sounds familiar!

when the snow hits boy do they freak out when its pay time ya cant find em!!

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

This is part of a real bill:

Date Service Depth of Snow Charged Total for Month
    01/24 Plow 5" $25
    01/30 Plow 3" $25 $50

It doesn't keep the columns, but you should be able to get the idea. My customers trust me on the measurement. If any didn't, I wouldn't want to plow for them (someone who doesn't trust me).

5. SkykingHD

SkykingHD Senior Member

snow depth on bill

I think what we have here is customer does not believe the "trigger" depth was met when you plowed. What we have found is the airports that report snow fall are so far and few that we would not get "snow fall data" that would support our observations. Just yesterday we had some "lake effect" snow that fell in our area but not at the local airport. North of us had to plow we had to salt and the airport reported no snow.

If your customer does not trust you it might be time to find a new customer to fill that time slot in your plow route. Also the snow plow contractor must be trustworthy also. This is a 2 way street.

Yes, when the bill comes then some customers say.. "oh I don't remember the snow being that deep". If they waited till the invoice came to complain most times they are just trying to not pay and you don't need that kind of problems either.

Dave