1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing question????

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by plowin boy, Feb 18, 2007.

1. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

Do you guys charge more per push when you get over a certain amount of snow??
    ie. 1 push @4in=$100
    1 push @10in =$130
    Thanks for your help
  2. Cassy

Cassy Senior Member

Personally I don't do that.
    But i also tell my residential clients that I try not to push more than 5 or 6 inches at a time. That way if we get a foot of snow, I'm hitting the property at least twice, probably more.

I've found most people understand that logic.
  3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I do about the same as Casey. I start plowing at 2" and if the storm is gonna be a big one I keep plowing.
  4. jhook

jhook Senior Member

I don't do it up here but it is a bit different here - we never get huge snowfalls like some of you other guys do. ONce winter sets in, things kind of roll along all winter. It would make sense if your location is prone to just getting a few snowfalls each season and they could be big ones.
  5. iakentdoz

iakentdoz Senior Member

I also do the same, One price per push but tell them that any thing over 6" will be cleared 2 times and billed twice. Haven't had any problems with it that way. I tell that large snow falls make it much harder to plow and harder on my equipment and plowing smaller amounts is must easier on me and my equipment.
  6. amvega

amvega Junior Member

Our price is good up to 4". If we get a 10" snowfall and I only plow it once they are going to be charged 2.5 times. It takes aleast twice as long. Have not had many complants about it.
  7. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Our contract pretty much reads that we will plow the site as we feel is needed. If the customer asks about it, I just explain that the number of trips depends on 1) How fast the snow falls 2) How wet & heavy the snow (or ice these days) is. 3) The time of the storm and 4) the forecasted & actual duration of the storm. I tell them that it is "entirely at our discretion", less numbers this way and minimal fuss.

I def wouldn't wait for 10'' to fall to push it. You may get 15% or 20% more or something (maybe more), but that wont pay for half of your new transmission! I'd plow twice and get 100% more, and have a nice cool tranny! Also if you plow twice (or more) it frees up the DW for the people to be able to get out, or emergency vehicles to get in.