1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing question im stuck on, need a seasoned perspective

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by metallihockey88, Dec 26, 2010.

1. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

alright, ive been in the biz for about 5 years as a sub only. of course i do a few friends and family on the side but not billing or contracts involved. im still a sub but got handed a small commercial account as my first contract. got a nice contract drafted and they are very happy so far but this weekend has put me in a tight spot that i could use some advice from a seasoned vet on. its a 3 unit small building, only about 15 parking spots and a buncha sidewalks. i signed with the biggest tennant that occupies about 70% of the plowable area. then after the first storm, the tennant in the middle signs on with me to do the rest of the lot nad the sidewalks whihc includes a chinese restaurant ( 3rd tenant). he said hed take care of their portion as they are cheap ( go figure ) and wouldnt wanna pay for it. the 2 paying tenants were closed friday-monday. we got 3in on friday night so i plowed it on christmas. then we got about 6in this morning which i did at the end of the storm this afternoon. i have in my contract that snowfall is billed in a 24hr period on a 2in trigger with increments of 2-4 4.1-8 8.1-12 and 12+, so if another push is required after that 24hrs its obviously billed as a fresh push. my question is should i bill them for 3in and 6in pushes ( 2 separate pushes) or should i just bill them in the billing bracket above a normal 9in storm, 12"+ as i only pushed it 2 times as opposed to the 3 times i would normally push a 9in storm as it really didnt need to be cleared til tommorow morning. sorry for the long drawn out post but was curious what you guys think and would do in this situation. thank you for the help :drinkup:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Take the two pricing options and give them the better deal.

Then when you give them the bill explain to them that because of the holidays, that and not being open, you wanted to give them the better price for the "Gray Area" with no stipulations in the contract for closed periods for the store.

Then explain that you just wanted to make sure that you are providing the type of service they are asking for. If there is any issues, you can hash them out then and there and you both the wiser for future events.

Ultimately, being the first year, do whatever it takes to retain the customer for a long time. You can be the only one to treat the customers correctly as you are the one getting the face time with your clients, and you know their personality.

3. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Post # 2 X 2