1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing liquid anti-icing.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PerfiCut Inc., Dec 20, 2008.

1. PerfiCut Inc.

PerfiCut Inc. Senior Member
    from Eastern

We looking at expanind our tests this season on liquid brine / anti-icing applications. I see a lot of other people getting thier feet wet with it as well, and was just wondering how you are fitting it into your ice management plan. and how are you billing for it?

2. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We kind of planned to possible get into liquid when we sent our our contracts. Most now say "Lot deiced" and gave a per application price so we can salt or liquid and we talked to all our monthlys letting them know we may have to go liquid to have no interruption of service if there is a shortage

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  3. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

So you bill the liquid treatments at a flat rate, vs a per gallon rate? If I understand you correctly, you charge a flat rate to de-ice a parking lot. How you do it, wether its salt, or liquid is up to you, the availability of product, and the weather conditions?

4. Superior L & L

from MI

We just built the liquid machine so we have not done a ton of liquid yet. We were slowly moving away from per lb/ton salt application before we started liquid. This way employees only had to say wether they salted or not. there is no question by the customer if we really applied that much.

5. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

I like the idea of billing a flat rate per treatment. How it gets treated and with what shouldnt matter to the customer much, as long as the lot is treated and doesnt have any ice. Of course we do have some environmentaly friendly clients but thats a different story.

It also, lets the customer know up front how much each visit is going to cost. We get a lot of concerns about how much salt will be needed. And on a small lot of 500# its not that big of a deal if you go over or under slightly. But on a large shopping center, where a light application may be 3,000# and a heavy app may be 5,000# that can make a huge difference in what is billed. We have a chart we developed so the more product they require the less per lb they pay. Helps to make it more affordable while keeping our profit margin where it needs to be on small 1000# applications.

If we could substitute liquid for salt on some of our applications, this could help make it more affordable for the customer, and to me. I think a flat rate per treatment is a great idea.

6. Superior L & L

from MI

Mostly customers just care about the end result.As long as they have wet pavement when they open it should not be an issue as long as your not hidding anything from them

7. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

And how much does it cost to get to the end result.

I agree.

8. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

If we are charging for per app and in our contracts it says just de icing then we charge the same as salt. I have not had any other luck on billing for liquid and no interest in customers for it. Our main use of the liquid for those customers is to cut down on our salt use on thier lots and in hope it will save our company money in the long run. I wish we would have some customers that where interested in it but I still wouldnt know exactly how to bill for it.

9. PerfiCut Inc.

from Eastern

Ive heard of people billing by the gallon. But, I can see how it would be difficult to sell it. I would think the best way to go is, a flat per de-icing treatment. If conditions warrant and you can use the liquid, GREAT, if not, and you have to use salt, thats kewl too. But as it was stated before. As long as the end result is the same, not many people care how it gets there.

10. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

We started using salt brine "spiked" with Caliber 1000 this year to use less salt. We came up with a per acre price based on what the material, labor, overhead, equipment and profit cost. For our per push contracts we gave a price per application for salt and liquid and bill based on what product is applied. For our seasonal contracts we figured so many salt and so many liquid apps. This has worked great for us so far. All but 1 customer out of 40 dont mind the liquid. If winter keeps up they'll have no chose if they want their lots clear.

11. Superior L & L

from MI

This is for sure !!!!

12. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

How do you like the Caliber 1000? I've been looking at switching to it, but haven't found much history from it. It apprears to work well with the mixtures I've sampled. Have you done any direct wetting with the Caliber 2000?

13. Salisbury1975

Salisbury1975 Junior Member
    from Detroit

We've tried different products and so far the caliber 1000 at 15% and 85% salt brine a worked best in a mixture. I have not tried caliber 2000. We've tried calcium brines, calcium , and a product called therma point and like calber the best. The only reason we tried materials other than caliber was to try to save money. THe caliber 1000 with our salt brine which we make ourselves is real clear in color which allows us to use on sidewalks with no tracking.