1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing issues

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by SteveR, Jan 1, 2013.

1. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I plow for a store that is billed per inch etc.. The issue is that they want a copy of the weather report with the bill, I can not find one that is truly accurate for my town. The history shows snow days it doesn't and no snow on days when we got 6 inches. Any ideas what my best approach is???

2. big_belly4ever

big_belly4ever Member

Airport near you, sewage plant, newspapers usually keep track of snow ?

3. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

How big is your town? Your local PD.or FD may have.
    the info you are looking for. Some members on here have yard sticks to measure the depth.

4. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Use a yard stick and take a pic with their store in the background and email it to them that day. I've found that snowfall totals from different sources for the same town can be different. Measuring on site takes any questionability away.

5. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Was this request written into the contract?

If not I would sit down with the person making the request and splain to them why weather reports can be so out of touch with the real world. They know when it snows and I am sure they have an idea how much.

I would offer them dated pictures of the lot showing some part of the building so they know it is their lot. Just carry a ruler of some sort in the truck and before you plow take a picture. Other than that tell them they can find another plow guy for the job if they are not satisfied.

Around here ,as in most places, the airport recordings mean nothing because of the wide open space that allows most light snow to blow off or not even recorded for stats yet drifts build and snow accumulates in other areas.

A picture can be worth a 1,000 words as long as it is dated with their building showing in the background. Thumbs Up

6. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

I have considered the pictures however, they are very specific that they want the weather report. This was a new addition this year, I thought I could just go on weather.com and print it, till I did and saw how inaccurate it is. We have no airport and I work at the FD and we keep no records. I think I will back my visit up with a note signed by the manager...All questions with this co seem to come on day 28 of the billing cycle, maybe just buying more time???

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

That would suck, snowfall depth really varies. We just had a storm here, the airport said 10.8" I measured 16.25" at my house:dizzy:

8. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Sounds like there is a reason they got a new plow guy and chances are they will be looking again next year. Do you have a contract that specifically requests the weather report?

Since it is a per time pay I would drop them now and be rid of the headache.

9. plowzilla

plowzilla Senior Member

10. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

I state in my contract that snow totals will be determined by NOAA

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

It's nice to have seasonal contracts.

12. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Oh your such a help :gunsfiring: lol

13. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Im not new to them..I am the only one that has plowed for them since they bought the property many years ago...Change in the corporate office..