1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by beanz27, Dec 31, 2012.

1. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I'm debating between doing two things here, as they are the two that I can think of that make sense.

Option 1:

Send invoices on set dates during the month, as in Jan 1 and Jan 15 or something along those lines, if it snows.

Option 2:

Bill after each event

What has worked for you guys in the past? Also does anyone happen to have an example of a good invoice? I'd rather send a profesional looking invoice rather then a tacky one.
  2. maelawncare

maelawncare Senior Member

I bill after each event. But I wait a few days in case we get more, that and I normally need a few days of rest.

In the winter money is tight for us. So I cant wait a month before I even send a invoice.
  3. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I bill after each event. If you have Microsoft Office, they have free service invoice templates that you can use.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Once a month for my seasonal accounts.
  5. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

What I was thinking if I did weekly was Bill 3 or 4 days after the event, unless we are getting more subsiquent storms, then send it out after the storms are done.
  6. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

just knock on the door , grab your cash , and be on your way . people get Amnesia.

Amnesia (disambiguation).

Amnesia (from Greek Ἀμνησία) is a deficit in memory caused by brain damage, disease, or psychological trauma.[1] Essentially, amnesia is the loss of memory. The memory can be either wholly or partially lost due to the extent of damage that was caused.[2] There are two main types of amnesia: retrograde amnesia and anterograde amnesia. Retrograde amnesia is the inability to retrieve information that was acquired before a particular date, usually the date of an accident or operation.[3] In some cases the memory loss can extend back decades, while in others the person may lose only a few months of memory. Anterograde amnesia is the inability to transfer new information from the short-term store into the long-term store. People with this type of amnesia cannot remember things for long period of time. These two types are not mutually exclusive. Both can occur within a patient at one time. Case studies, such as that of patient R.B., show that both types of amnesia can occur simultaneously. Case studies also show that amnesia is typically associated with damage to the medial temporal lobe. In addition, specific areas of the hippocampus (the CA1 region) are involved with memory. Research has also shown that when areas of the diencephalon are damaged, amnesia can occur
  7. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

you really ought to think twice about divulging private business practices on public forum :laughing:

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Once a month, that's enough paperwork for me. How is billing after every storm then waiting a few days work? What happens if it snows every 3-4 days? Like 2yrs ago. So some of you guys just bill whenever is what you're saying. Billing twice a month really is only going to get you payed 15 days sooner, maybe.
  9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

1st of the month for previous months services for "per". Seasonals start November 1
  10. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

Once a month. I use express invoice.
  11. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

All my billing is set up on a net 10 account for everything. Plowing, trucking, ect.
  12. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I invoice everything just as the OP stated, the 1st and 15th of every month. On a normal winter that seem to keep my cash flow exactly where it needs to be. I also have a net 10, so basically I am paid on the 11th, and 25th of every month.
  13. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

O Crap! Is today the 1st.......................?
  14. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

Like the rest the 1st and 15th of the month. The churches want it after each push. That's easy I just put in the door :) I also send out a email on the 10th as a reminder that works really really good
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013
  15. Landcare - Mont

Landcare - Mont Senior Member

We're 100 percent seasonal, commercial and municipal only. Total contract amount divided by five instalments invoiced the first of each month starting November 1st, payable upon reception. Most customers pay within 30 days. Extras (e.g. salting, hauling, etc.) are invoiced on the 15th and at the end of the month. Again, most are paid within 30 days. After 45 days, the office calls the customer, preferably just before a snowstorm, and hints broadly that payment is expected very soon. Usually works. Our final instalment is invoiced March 1st; here in Montreal that normally gives us another snowfall or two to use a incentive to pay.
  16. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

If you bill after each even it gets confusing.. In a World where you sent an invoice out and EVERYONE paid it right when they got it, that would be good. But what happens is You get invoice #1 back from some people when you're currently on Storm/ invoice #4... So now you have to keep track..

I've had much luck with billing out on the 1st and 15th
    This way you're not waiting 30 days for your money... Also i've had people almost faint from sticker shock after 30 days.
  17. grandview

Yep,seasonal. 5 equal payments starting Nov1st
  18. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm a GC so we already have a system in place. It's actually quite simple & not confusing at all. If we fix your leaky roof, plow your driveway, etc., payment is due in full upon completion.Thumbs Up

We are always keeping track. We use a thing called a "Snow Service Log". As far as your example of getting paid for invoice #1 when we're on storm #4:

We wouldn't let our customer get that far behind in paying us. In fact, they would be a "former customer" long before that:laughing:
  19. grandview

So they could be a former customer by the 4th plow in one week?
  20. Meezer

Meezer Senior Member
    from Indiana

Putting aside that we never had 4 events in one week for any of our residential accounts & that our customers are fully aware what the payment terms are before they sign our contract:

Yes, absolutely
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013