1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

billing hourly,?tracking time?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by standingdead, Dec 4, 2011.

1. standingdead

standingdead Junior Member
    from 83452

do any of you guys who are billing by the hour have suggestions for keeping track of time?I am thinking some type of timer app might be good.I have 2 subdivisions and a handful of resi accts,and I find it difficult to remember to stop ,check time ,write it down.I live in s.e. idaho,had maybe 400 inches on the valley floor last year.thus the hourly rate.
  2. buddy4781

buddy4781 Senior Member

We use a Snow Service Log found by using the search tool. It is under "maelawncare", good luck.

3. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

You dont!
    I find when you bill hourly you NEVER get paid for it. And if you do, Its always questioned and such.

I rather have a seasonal rate and be done with it.
  4. standingdead

standingdead Junior Member
    from 83452

Yeah I'm essentially on a per push setup now,with the hourly a fallback in case of deeps now taking lots of time.Its certainly true that if acompetetive rate is quoted people get leery.So with getting a more accurate cost breakdown in mind,are there any suggestions on keeping an accurate time count on multiple fronts?
  5. coyote

coyote Member
    from montana

I read so many posts about being stressed out about billing. If my snowplowing business was that stressful I wouldnt do it. I also charge by the hour or even by the minute. Have never had any problems with my customers. When a new customer contacts me i tell them let me do it once and if you like the price then all is cool. Of course if it is just a small driveway I tell them my standard price as long as it is along my route. As for the time thing I just remember what time i got there and what time Im done and as we all know the first push always takes the most time. Then I still charge accordingly all season. No one complaines. Of course when you get a big storm it might take longer. Its give and take just like any other service provided.
    I have 4 commercials 1 hoa and a half dozen driveways. Guess things are a little more friendly here in NW Montana. I also try and comp one push a season for the driveways and sometimes if driving by and the county or city plows have left there berm I just remove it no charge. Everyone is happy!