1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing for the Ice Storm of 2/14 in CT

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Marbleman, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member

To all those who have finished clearing the ice from walkways and parking lots (we only do commercial work) - Congratulations. This was one of the worst storms I have had to deal with. The ice bonded to the sidewalks and it was over, and it made plowing very time consuming. The official ice accumulation for Middletown was 2.8 inches. This would put it in the area of a 0-3" storm. A 0-3" snow storm typically takes 8 hours for us to clear 100% from end of storm. This ice storm took us over 3 days to clean-up. We do not have any provisions in our contract for ice (WHICH WE WILL IN THE FUTURE).

This was more like a 15" storm than a 0-3"....What should we charge?

2. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

It took us aprox 48 hours to clear the ice from my commercial sites.
    They will get charged for each salt application and sidewalk application.
    Some sites had a dozen saltings during and after the storm.
    Plus many will receive bills per hour to clear ice from walks. For the commercial sites
    it had to be done.

3. sekon

sekon Junior Member
    from The Rez

We were in the same boat. And if you had city sidewalks forget about it. We were digging out 3 foot deep blocks of ice. A couple of our customers met us half way and I'm billing them T&M after the storm for extreme ice conditions.

4. chris k

chris k Senior Member

I am billing for their typical 1-3" charge for plowing and salt application, the doing time and materials for the rest. Which around here went until 2/17.

5. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

This is a picture of a competitors lot 2 days after the storm that wasnt salted or pushed(or in this case sanded until after the storm ended) while my lots were blacktop within 24 hours.

But they have to pay for it.

ice storm2007 045 (Small).jpg

6. chris k

chris k Senior Member

TJlands- if I were you I would take pics of your lot and send it to the one in the pic you posted.

7. tjlands

tjlands Senior Member

I have the two office buildings on both sides of this one, they are just very cheap.
    We also do the landscaping at both neighboring buildings.

8. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I would include a line item that says 1/4" of Ice = 3" of snow. And this handy chart:

1 lb of salt will melt 46 lbs of ice at 30*F
    1 lb of salt will melt 14.5 lbs of ice at 25*F
    1 lb of salt will melt 8.5 lbs of ice at 20*F
    1 lb of salt will melt 6.5 lbs of ice at 15*F
    1 lb of salt will melt 5 lbs of ice at 10*F
    1 lb of salt will melt 4 lbs of ice at 5*F
    1 lb of salt will melt 3.5 lbs of ice at 0*F
    1 lb of salt will melt 3 lbs of ice at -6*F

9. Marbleman

Marbleman Senior Member