1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Billing Clients?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mister_snowplow, Oct 26, 2004.

1. mister_snowplow

mister_snowplow Senior Member

I have a meeting with my first customer tonight (residential). As of right now, I obviously have my truck/plow, but I don't yet have any official paperwork (letterhead, business cards, billing papers).

My question is... Do you typically have your clients sign something official, saying you will be doing their plowing (a contract)? Also, do you mail them your bill, or do you put the bill in an envelope and then stick it in their mailbox after you plow?

Thanks for the help guys!

:bluebounc LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW :bluebounc

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Really, it depends on tradition in your neighborhood. Some places wouldn't do anything without a signed contract. Other places do not have such things. Here, we do everything without a contract, but it's very rural. My neighbor dug the foundation for my house, garage and septic (that's his business). Another guy came from another town and dug a well based only on my phone call - and I wasn't even there when he came.

I still make out a "Proposal" which could double as a contract which I give people, spelling out what I'll be doing and for how much. It does set me off from others and I'm seen as more "professional". But, that also works against me since some will equate "professional" with "more expensive".

Billing - I leave it up to the customer. Some prefer to "pay as they go". For those, I'll leave a slip of paper taped to the house or railing telling them how much they owe for this time and they'll leave a check for me the next time I come to plow. Others prefer monthly billing. But I make up a bill showing the date of service, services provided, snow depth (as appropriate), charge for that date and monthly total. Then a "please pay by" date.

As for putting a bill in the mailbox - only a Mail Carrier or the resident can place anything in, on or about a mail recepticle.

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Mister snowplow, turn on your email option and I'll send you an example.
    I use the Blizzard Buster program for billing. :waving:

4. mister_snowplow

Thanks for the help Mick. I hope all goes well tonight!

:drinkup:

5. mister_snowplow

Hey Boss, how do you turn on your email function? I would greatly appreciate if you sent me an example!

Thanks!

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I had someone stiff me once on a driveway...wouldnt you know a few storms later when they were plowed in, with about 8 feet in front of the garage, I got a check the next day!!!!!

7. mister_snowplow

Just thought I'd let everybody know...

The meeting went really well last night. Thanks for all the advice. I met the guy last night and he was real cool. He actually hooked me up with two of his neighbors driveways and sidewalks. Wasn't going to turn that down. I checked out the property last night, but it was dark. I am going to go back Saturday morning to take some measurements and some digital photos for my reference. I told the guy that I would put together a contract and send it out in a few days! This is getting exciting!

Thanks again!

:bluebounc LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW :bluebounc

8. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

Go to user cp, edit options,click the box that says recieve mail from other users, then click save changes at the bottom of the screen. Let me know when you did this and I'll send it to you. I wish we had pm's!!! :realmad:

9. mister_snowplow

Hi Boss...I got your IM. Sorry I didn't respond, I was eating. I did figure it out, you should be able to email me now.

Thanks for the help, you always post good advice.

:bluebouncLET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW, LET IT SNOW:bluebounc

10. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

:nod: It's good when a plan comes together.