1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bill Now or Later?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by YPLLLC, Dec 9, 2008.

1. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Hey guys, I have seen this mentioned on here a few times and am wondering how everyone does their billing, mainly for residential but also for commercial.

When you plow do you go to the door and leave an invoice?

Do you bill them per snow event?

Do you bill them monthly for the past plowings?

I saw that someone said they leave invoices in the mailbox. or at the door. HOW DO YOU PRINT UP INVOICES ON THE JOB!!!!!

Thanks, all input is appreciated.

2. YPLLLC

YPLLLC Senior Member

Bumping it up due to the amount of new posts allover!!

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For me commercial is billed 5 times during the season. Drives when I did them were 3 times during the season.

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I do all of my billing by e-mail. After I get done plowing, I either take a nap, the bill, or just sit down and do all the billing right away. I do all commercial though. The only residisentals I do are for family, and none of them pay.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

I prefer to bill out after every storm (or two if they're close to one another). People tend to forget how deep the snow really was or how many times you came. Bill it while its fresh in their mind.

6. JeepCreepn01

JeepCreepn01 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I bill at the end of the month for all, we around here dont have huge events so its pretty much always the same price

7. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

With current economic state, we are doing per event or series of events. To stay on top of it and to see who is going to pay and who isn't given the circumstances.

8. 6feetdeep

6feetdeep Senior Member

I always bill at the last day of the month, commercial and residential. Always have since day one used Quickbooks, I include the date and time for each service (sometimes type notes such as: 'cleanup after storm', or 'salted only', etc), and have never had any problems getting paid.
    It sometimes sucks the first month of the season waiting for checks, but I usually have the last of our mowing/ fall cleanup checks coming in to carry me through.

9. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

you guys make your customers write 20 checks per season?! honestly id be pissed. :dizzy:

i bill at the end of the month for all services performed throughout the month, 12 months per year.

10. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

we typically only get 8-10 plowable events here per season. If we're getting a bunch within the same week I will wait to send them out.

11. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

this is the way i go too . its like the gas or elc bill .. you don't know how much its going to be but, you have to pay it

12. terrapro

from MI

yeah well im like a cell phone bill....

"what, i have to pay $325.76 for 13 pics messages and i went over 400 minutes!? $58 for fed and state taxes?! son of a &^#%!!! i swear id hire someone else if they didnt have such good reception!"

:jester:

13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I only billed per storm when I hand-wrote them and hand-delivered the dozen or so I did at the time. When I computerized & mailed, it all went monthly. Given that each customer receives a month of service prior to billing, I require net 10 for payment.

14. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'm at a loss.. so you are a ripe off ? Is that what your saying ?

15. terrapro

from MI

nope, just a little humor.

16. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

We are trying to bill on the 1st and 15th. That way if we plowed on the first couple of days of the month your not waiting 60 days for your money

17. mksuwndr

mksuwndr Junior Member

Same here and make note of snow dates, amount of snow, and temp.

18. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I see no reason to wait more than 40 (the month before and 10 for payment)

19. EPPSLLC

EPPSLLC Senior Member

I charge per push and bill out weekly . .. It's just easier for me because fridays i do paper work send in bills, send out bills, cash checks and record deposits and all the other fun book keeping stuff . ..