1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

bill monthly?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jay albers, Oct 4, 2009.

1. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

I was just going to send a bill at the end of the month to my customers.Am I right when you guys are saying bill them at the end of the year on how many times you guess you'll be there or am i way off?Do you guys wait till end of winter to get paid?I'm in the poconos,it snows 5 months here.
    I was going to do res. do one push for 14", any thing over and push twice. Is that cool?Then send a bill at the end of the month.That way moneys comin in baby!

2. mtk469

mtk469 Member

For our per push customers we bill either bi-monthly or monthly depending on what have agreed uopn up front.

3. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

yeah ok, I just wanted to make sure i was'nt all out of whack.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Is that a typo? 14 inches one push?

I used to bill driveways
    1/3 at signing
    1/3 Jan 1st
    1/3 beginning of March
    and 1/3 for a tip for doing a good job.

5. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

We bill monthly.
    For a person that calls for a 1 time push it is higher priced and cash upfront.

6. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

thats what i was thinkin 14" but like i said im new. talk to me

7. grandview

Drives start at 2-3 inches

8. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

yeah, i was gonna do a 3" trigger. i was thinking wait till storms over and push.any thing over 14 push twice. so if there calling for 16" push at 8" and then again when storms over.Should i push twice at a shorter amount?

9. grandview

Even in Pa. if you leave that much in the drive you'll be talking to everyone of your customers

10. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

what do ya mean?

11. grandview

They will be calling you trying to find out were you are?

I should backup how are you going to bill everyone? per push or seasonal ?

If you leave 8 inches in the drieway you;ll have 16 inches at the end of the driveway with cars stuck in it.

12. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

I was going to bill per push. like a double drive way 40bucks.are you saying i should push and bill for every 3 "? so if theres a 9" fall push three times? and bill them $120?

13. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

The "trigger" is the amount of snow on the ground before you plow. Most resi's want snow plowed when there is 2" or more on the ground. Alot depends on the time of day too. Sometimes you need to open a drive up before people go to work and then plow again before they get home. You bill 2 times for that.

14. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

so alot depends on time it snows and what your customer wants.so if it snows on weekend you wait till its done?or again talk it over with customer.

15. grandview

You have to play it by ear. If your going to get 4 inches over night and it stops by 4-5am(?) and you can get them done before they go to work then you only need to plow once. Or if it snows during the day you need to make sure they are done before they get home.

16. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

Thats where im alittle confused lets say theres 3" layin at 5pm when they get home and its suppose to lay 4" more. I hit them twice?

17. grandview

Sure. You don't want the snow to build up. Then if they are driving on it ,it's tougher to plow up.

18. mtk469

mtk469 Member

I am with Grandview here. You need to make sure that you clean it before they leave in the morning and then make sure that it is clear when they get back home. Plowing snow that has been driven over sucks and in my opinion makes it more difficult for you to show the customer the good job you do.

19. jay albers

jay albers Member
    from pa

word.alright guys thanks for the info.like i said im new. same old story landscaper goin snow. Was thinking of starting res till i feel comfortable. Was also thinkin of workin for someone the first year but it just kills me when i now i could be making double for the work im doing.I aint scared! ill learn as i go. Thats what i did with my lawn biz, said screw it and jumped in!

20. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

I am lost here and I know exactly how to bill, pull trigger, plow and run a business. LOL.
    Jay...where did you get your info from?
    Start plowing when there is 2" of snow on the ground.
    If its a per-push service call...then charge right away. Have them leave a check in the mailbox or cash in an envelope.
    If it's a monthly agreement, then send invoice on the first day of the following month.

I hope you don't sit on your couch until there is 8" of snow on the ground to start your truck up...geez.

By the way....what are you using. Where have you found your customers.
    Do you have any retail/commercial lots?

You have some work to do. It's already October.