1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Biggest Tire to fit on STOCK 2500hd?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by EGLC, Oct 26, 2009.

1. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

Truck is completely stock right now as far as suspension, timbrens, keys, etc...whats the biggest I could go without having to do anything besides maybe mess with the keys??

2003 Chevy 2500hd running 265/75 now

2. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I've got 285's on my CCSB D/A on stock aluminum wheels with no rubbing. I had them on aftermarket aluminum wheels but when I hit a bump in hard corners they rubbed so I switched back to the factory wheels. I have no lift, no timbrens, and no torsion bar adjustments made.

3. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

You will rub with 285/75R16 on a stock suspension at with properly sized wheels. The biggest tire you should put on a 6.5" wide rim (factory) is a 245/75. You'll need a 7.5" wide rim to use 285's, making them stick out further at the sides, requiring trimming of the bumper and wheel liner, and torsion bar adjustments.

I went from 265's to 285's and I am wishing I just stuck with 265's.

4. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I forgot that little detail, i trimmed a little bit off the front of my plastic inner fender wells while I had the wider wheels on it, so that could be why mine do not rub and q101's do. either that or he's drivin a girly truck :)

5. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I have 265s with no rubbing, I guess that's what I'll stay with then.

Thanx guys :waving:

6. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

what wheels are proper and what should or shouldnt work is a matter of opinion. what DOES work is a matter of fact. and 285's on factory gmc aluminum wheels work nicely. they look right, handle well, and have no problems holding a load. tread wear is even, and I like the looks of the factory stuff. so from a factual perspective, I say you should go 285's :):drinkup:

7. ibew697

ibew697 Junior Member

X2...haven't had any problems with mine either...

8. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 06 2500HD with 245's on it now, looks like it will take a 285 but I really don't want to take the chance of any rubbing.So I will probably be looking for 265's.

9. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

another benefit of 265s is a much larger selection of 10 ply ratings in a wide variety of brands.

10. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Another advantage is 265 cost a lot less than 285.

11. ChevyHD4X4

ChevyHD4X4 Senior Member

I run 285's with no rubbing, front bumper is trimmed. I have also cranked the front and added Timberins.

[​IMG]

12. mcfly89

mcfly89 Senior Member

I hadnt noticed much difference in price at all. usually no more than $40 a set difference.