1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Biggest Tire Size

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Troybaseball21, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Troybaseball21

Troybaseball21 Member
    from Ohio

I was thinking about putting on either 33" or 35" Mastercraft Crouser CT's. I have 2" spacers on the front and currently the truck only drops about an inch with the plow on. Just wondering if anyone is running 35" tires on the stock setup and if that works. If not I know the 33" tires will work.

2. hi_octane

hi_octane Member

i bought my truck used last year and i not to sure what on it never really looked but i have 315-70-17 on it and i like it alot

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

35 will work with your setup But i would recomend changing the rims to a wider offset. Easiest way to get 35's and rims is buy a set of H2's

4. SPD

SPD Inactive

I run 35's on the stock offset, they do rub the control arm at full turn. But if you are careful when turning it is not a problem at all. I went with the stock offset because I didn't want them sticking out.

[​IMG]

5. SPD

SPD Inactive

That image was pre Air Bags and before I had it repainted. Looks to be sagging a little in the back. LOL

Sit's nice and level now with the air bags.
    [​IMG]

BTW that is stock suspension with 2 inch blocks in the front.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  6. onebadplowtruck

onebadplowtruck Junior Member

i have 35s on my 05 without a problem holding a boss 8'2" with boss wings on it all winter. on the 03 and up trucks the stock wheel works best with 35s and a plow with only the 2" spacers. i tried a different off set wheel on my truck and when i bumped over a curb or drove over a decent pile of snow they would touch the fender breifly so i went back to my factory wheels. hope this helps!! ps i run 3 sets of 35 inch C/Ts and love em!! best of luck

7. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Looks like a late 80's Apache. I just sold my 40' Hustler Fiore.

A dodge with 2" spacers will handle 35's with no problem. I did a bunch of research before I put on my Nitto's. My 285/75-17 Dura Grapplers look right on the truck (no spacers)... not too small but not overly big. I have a feeling they will suck in the snow though

8. SPD

SPD Inactive

Good eye... It's a 97 36 Apache Warrior.

9. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Newer than I thought... I was thinking they went to a stepped hull in the early/mid 90's. ?Was it refurbished 97 or is it actually a 97?

10. SPD

SPD Inactive

It's an actual 97, custom built by Bob Secenti. It's one of about 35 built and one of 4 with an enclosed head. There is a ton of great history and stories around the Apache name.

To my knowledge Apache only made one stepped hull 36. I saw a picture of it once but don't remember too much about it. A friend of mine has a 2002 his is a deep V also, no steps.

11. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

i'm running 35's with no level and don't have any problems...they rub a little at full turn...but with a level you would be fine

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. onebadplowtruck

do u run a plow dirt digger?? pardon my ignorance but i dont c a lower frame. I agree 35s will fit spacers but im not so sure about with a plow hangin off the front if it

13. SPD

SPD Inactive

Mine is a 8 ft Western, and the 35's do rub the control arm at full turn. Plow or no plow, but it's not that bad, since it's rubbing the control arm and not the inner fender there is little difference with the extra weight of the plow. Maybe an extra 1/8 to 1/4 turn of the wheel I lose.

Keep in mind I am running a wheel with the stock offset, using a different offset wheel will have different results. My tire sits right under the fender well as it should. Using a bigger offset wheel will push the wheel out of the fender well and may cause it rub more or less or in a different spot all together.

If you find yourself often needing to turn at full lock when you are plowing, I would suggest 33's, if not and you keep a stock offset wheel I think you will be fine. To me 33's looked very small on my truck. I can live with the little rubbing for the added appearance.

14. onebadplowtruck

Yup SPD you are exactly correct when working on a second gen dodge. i have 5 of them and have done work on dozens of them for customers and buddies of mine. 285s and bigger on stock wheels will rub control arm on full lock on 94-02 trucks