1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Biggest repair out in a storm?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Super Mech, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Super Mech

Super Mech Member

Whats the biggest repair anyone here as ever performed on the road in a storm so they can finish the job? What tools did you carry with you?

IDOCTORTREES Senior Member
    from MONTANA

Had to replace 1/2 my crew...phone..hehe. Funny but true
  3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Weld a backhoe loader arm that broke in two, tools complete service truckThumbs Up
  4. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Well... stuff only breaks when you're actually using it, and I've broken everything. Being non-commercial and having backup equipment, its really never been a big deal for me....

Well, usually not a big deal. The most fun one was plugged fuel filters on the 580 while perpendicular to the 1-lane road I was clearing drifts out of, of course, with my road vehicles on the "inside". And when that engine gets cold, it is NOT easy to start, couple that with having to bleed a macgyver-style fuel filter.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  5. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Brake line at about 3am on boss's truck.
  6. RSE

RSE Member

Lost a cell phone....had to replace an alternator "roadside"....sander motor blew up....dead battery. All in the same winter!! Basic hand tools to replace the alternator, slushy, wet spray for like an hour....nothing I could do to replace the phone, sander motor. Battery was easy.....pays to always carry tools.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  7. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Welded the plow frame on my International 4700 in my driveway with my a/c stick welder during storm, 10 miles closer than my shop with my "real" welder.Replaced a driveshaft that fell off truck on the side of rode. Took apart the spinner motor on my under tailgate spreader at 1 am and actually got it to work somehow in a sleepy,hazy sleepwalking like state. You do what you have to do:salute:
  8. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

Rebuilt the ram mounts at least 3 times in the snow on my old boss.
    Ripped old meyer off the front of my dads suburban and had to fix that.
    Backed out of a pile last year and left the boss behind. Spring retainers rusted out and the pins fell out. Lost them both so i just bolted the plow on and finished the day out.
  9. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Pumps motors lines solenoids and so on brake pads I usually find a car wash with a door that pulls down your out of the wind best kept secret
  10. zlssefi

zlssefi Senior Member

Blew out an o ring on a terex wheel loader transmission filter. Had to drain the transmission, refill with 15 gallons of special transmission oil,change out the filter cartridge and the busted o ring while pleasantly getting oil dripped on from above and snow blowing across the airport and down your back. Good times!!!
  11. K5Man91

K5Man91 Member
    from MA

Getting a box spring that was burried in the snow unwrapped from my driveshaft so I could move.
  12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I cracked the window, then lit a smoke.

In the end it all work out.