1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Biggest Mistake? I See!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ole Tower, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

I DONO? as WE all see & hear questions? & Answers in referance to Plowing--as in any Business doing the JOB Easyer & Faster--seems to be the IN thing! but in Plowing since the 50s the Biggest Mistake I SEE in Plowing SNOW--IS!--every body is in too much of a HURRY!--I don*t Think? a Good Plow driver can bee BEAT? plowing w/a Streight Blade!--as their allmost? Trouble Free!--as Working FASTER? is Not allways BETTER!--as I See a lot of so called PRO Plowers leave a MESS? in my Opinion?? & NO One ever gets Out of their TRUCK! Now DAYS!--as Private Home Owners LOVE to crawl through that 2 ft Snow Bank to enter their House!--after the Plowers LEFT! & YOU wonder WHY? they Don*t call You Again? Plowing SNOW is a SERVICE nothing MORE! nothing LESS!--so DO It Right! or Your Shiny New Truck & Plow will be Sitting in Your YARD!-Enough SAID! --OleTower--
  2. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Wow, are you having a bad day:confused:
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i agree! can't beat a straight blade as long as it has wings.... also agree with you on getting out of your equiptment, no one wants to get out because they have to be behind the wheel pushing snow where they are needed the most...all my shiny trucks sit too, but never in the yard always in the heated shop. we never have to worry about them sitting because we do bad work it's always because of the damm lack of snow! hope you have a better day OT hows the ford working out for you?
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Ole tower,

What brought this up?

I do not get out of my truck.:nono:
    (o/k if I'm stuck or need to relive my self I do. lol

I have a question for you.
    How much do you charge for the truck to move the snow?
    How much do you charge for the shovel to move the snow?

I tell them UP FRONT that I do not shovel walks.
    They still want my services. So what gives?

I can not see letting a "shiny truck" sit as I shovel.
    I can make more money sitting in the "shiny truck" than shoveling.
    Plowing snow is my service.

We offer clearing walks to a few customers and we charge them big $$$ for it to.

Remember when you pulled into a gas station and they would pump the gas, check the oil, air the tires, fill the washer fluid and clean the windshield for you.

Those days are gone.

I duno,,,,,
    If You need a full service snow service then hire one. Don't hire me then complain about the walk. I told you up front.

I do not shovel, I plow.

P.s. Time is money.....
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2007
  5. Jay brown

sno farmer.... darn right time is money, so is a heart attack from shoveling
  6. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Yeah, you see people plow in dumpsters, fire hydrants, walkways, ramps and make entrances real tight. Then drive like idiots to do the next contract.
  7. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

This is a good thread---it brings up the basis of business and the need to cover a lot of ground quick.

Yes, time is money and theres a real value for some people to have their walk cleared and for others they just want you to clean the bulk of it.

What the other poster said about telling them up front is very important--they shouldn't cry if they know that you're not doing it.

Its an individual basis thing, but, the truth is also that you didn't spend a million bux on a truck and plow so you could spend half your time with a shovel in your hand. My experience says that most people don't want to pay you at $100 bux/hr to shovel (just throwing a number here).

The other thing to consider is balance of time and how long a storm....shoveling a walk with 2" is a lot different than shoveling it three times in the middle of a 12" storm.

Its all up to the individual but the money is in plowing and so are your expenses.... break a shovel? So what? Break your plow = $$.

Next time you're shoveling that persons place, watch behind you as the next guy is driving to his next account. When he's home at 7pm and you're shoveling at midnight, its time to re-balance.

With regard to the other statements, there's no excuse for doing a shi%%y job. Plowing in fire hydrants, leaving large windrows, plowing in walkways and or mailboxes---go get another job it thats how you work... there's plenty of people doing this from what I see though---like Ole tower said, drive like hell to get to the next account..

And, yes Ole tower, you're right, plowing is a service, but its also a business. Quality counts a lot.....but for most people price is just as important--they put up with crap work for a long time if its cheap enough. It's amazing what people do when they think they're getting a "deal".
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I forgot to mention plowing piles out into or across the street and leaving large windows in the street. That's just lazy and will earn you a $75 ticket around here.
  9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Got to love the town trucks for that. They love to leave the 18" high x 2' wide windrows in the middle of a main street when they clear out an a side street. . :cry:
  10. Ole Tower

Ole Tower Senior Member
    from MAINE

Biggest Mistake--I SEE!

I read all the Pros & Cons! & I See most Didn*t get my MEASSAGE--You know theres an Ole Rule of Doing Business!--DO it RIGHT the First TIME! & You won*t have to DO it Over!--AGAIN!!--YEH Time is MONEY! especially if Your Trucks NEW! AH!that BIG Payment BOOK!--all Nice & Shiny like Your New TRUCK?--& lets NOT Forget?? that GOY w/the Ole Truck thats PAID For!! Hes making a lot more MONEY that YOU ARE! & His Banker asks HIM when You Gonna Trade? YOU Young Fellers make ME LAUGH!--PLOWING is a Service-Nothing More Nothing Less!--YOU all re-mind ME of the Young TOWERS--thats Going to Set the TOWING Business on FIRE?--w/Hook Up & Storage FREES!--w/ All their Shiny New Ramps & Wreckers--HEY! I wonder? where they Went?? as I don*t See them Around any MORE??--but--I See their New Shiny Equipment in the REPO Lot!--Huuum? I wonder What they Did WRONG?--I Dono? but I hear? they Charged Too MUCH? & Did Sloppy Work?--bottom Line--HURRIED to MUCH!--& Damaged Stuff?--& finally NO One called E*M any MORE! ME I just had an Ole Customer Call ME--OleTower will YOU GO to OHIO & Get MY Truck? & TOW it to Petes Garage--Locally--so Pete can re-pair It As I Know Both You Guys & I know I won*t Get Screwed!--Thanks OleTower Call ME when You get Back HOME--I wonder? Why! He Called ME? as OHIO is a Log way from MAINE--Quality Service--at Reasonable Prices!--By GOD I think? thats IT??--Dono? for SURE??--But He Did CALL! so I must be Doing Something RIGHT??--OleTower--
  11. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

13. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I'll go slow so ole tower can fallow........;.

You are making BIG assumptions about everyone.

I provide a service IT's call SNOW PLOWING not SNOW SHOVELING....

I do a very professional job thank you very much!

It would not matter if I was using a 74,98, 01 or newer.
    It would not matter if it was shine.
    It would not matter if it was paid for or not.

Does doing it right mean I have to shovel too?

I do shovel & snow blow some but most I will not....

It's a service i offer It's called "snow plowing" and I do it right the first time:waving: .......

If you offer to clear their walks and get the job becuse of it, more power to you....

Tow truck opperators, now there is a field of snakes in the grass.....:cool:
  14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Uh Oh, here we go again. :dizzy: Where's that darn LOPPOA when you need 'em.

Jim, why is it such a big freakin' deal who has what truck, shiny,rusty, new off the line, Model T or A or whatever. Not to mention, how in God's green earth do you know whether or not I pay cash for a brand new truck or get a loan for an old beater? #1 It's none of your dang business if my vehicle is paid for or not. #2 It doesn't matter one whit whether the truck is new or old as long as the job gets done right, the first time. I'll bet good money there are just as many guys out there with loans on old trucks as there are guys that pay cash for new trucks.

I won't even get into the plow issue as you have no idea what you are talking about unless you have personally used a Blizzard plow.

I can visualize another vacation for a certain member coming up the way these posts have been going lately.
  15. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

That picture of the bunny was a classic! I dang near spit my coffee all over the keyboard when I saw this. Thanks for a good laugh.
  16. Jay brown

hi OT.... having your truck paid for is good! one question for you, do you have business insurance( work comp, general liability, 1-2 million commercial on your trucks, fire policy on your shop/office)? i would say that's why most of the your tow companies are our of biz.they can't pay the ins.... most of my trucks are paid for, but a $1000 per month truck payment is not a problem for me or most. my biggest problem is paying $40k per year for insurance that i can't even use because if i do use it the premiums will go up to $50k the next year. just remember a shiny new truck is just a small drop in the bucket in the NEW cost of running a business.
  17. Kramer

Kramer Senior Member

I have to chime back in here....

Jay, I have to say that the statement that $1000 / month truck payment isn't a problem for most might or might not be true. I think $12000 /yr payments are a big deal for a lot of guys who make < $10000 plowing/year. I think you'll find that a lot of guys on here do residential only and that trying to support a $1000/month payment on 5 storms or less a year really is a big deal-- a huge deal.

With regard to insurance, no doubt its ridiculous...its no wonder why a lot of guys don't get it. Its a big risk, but at the end of the day if you're working all winter getting up at 3am beating your truck to death only to pay insurance premiums then I can see why taking the chance makes sense. Theres no good answer for that one...truck insurance, liability.... you have to consider the expense and whether you can cover it in any business....how many $30 driveways do you do to cover your insurance alone?? Its almost impossible to make money plowing unless there are many storms a year---at 3-5 storms or so, hang it up.
  18. Jay brown

yeah, with snowplowing alone, $12k per year in payments would be tough. i guess i was refering to someones regular business(roofing, landscaping, dirt work). the way i look at it if you can't afford $1k per month in payments you don't need a new truck. the trucks that i buy cost $45k NOW(they used to be cheeper) i buy with no money down, if i only made a $500 payment it would take 8-10 years to pay it off. each business is different though.