1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigges trailer for 2012 jk unlimited

Discussion in 'Jeeps' started by fordmstng66, May 17, 2012.

1. fordmstng66

fordmstng66 Senior Member

I just bought a 2012 jk unlimited, and am now looking for a trailer for it. I found a 6x12 for a decent price. Is this to big for the jeep? I know the tow capacity is 3500lbs. Only thing i will use it for is lawn mowers to and from my house and my uncles a few times a week, mulch and possible to haul my bike. Just wanted to see what other wrangler owners thought. Also i ppan on putting a plow on the same jeep. Was looking into a 2.5 inch lift Teraflex lift with new springs. Any other opions or hints what i can do so the front end does not dive like my k2500 gmc did? Thanks in advanced.

2. Hubjeep

Hubjeep Senior Member

A 6X12 should be fine as long as it's not too heavy duty (like a skid-steer trailer or something). Is that a single axle?

I have been looking into 5X10 and 6X10 trailers, most had 3,500 lb capacity single axles.

3. Joe Lombardo

Joe Lombardo Member

I have a 2011 Wrangler sport and I hasd the 2.5 inch Teraflex spring spacers installed in the front and a 1 inch spacer in the rear. The plow is a 6'8" Meyers and when raised the front might drop less than 1 inch. I was more concerned with the way the plow sat when lowered than I was about the drop. Without the spacers the plow actually sat down on the rear now it sits level, made a big difference plowing. Good Luck

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Spring spacers do not increase the weight capacity of the springs they are just what the name implies a spacer. Consider http://www.quadratec.com/products/16193_1003_07.htm and http://www.timbren.com/timbren-application-guides/application-pdfs/JFJK.pdf

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

6. fordmstng66

hubjeep thanks for the info, it will be a 6x12 single axle.

Basher thanks for the infor, it will only be a single axle 3,500 lb axle trailer. The Eibach leveling kit you posted a link for is that a heavier duty spring than what would be on my jeep from factory? I likethe idea of doing the lift springs, with the Timbrens inside, i think that would work best for me.

7. brad11ny

brad11ny Senior Member

I have a 5X10 with a 3500# axle imo this is wide enough. It fits in my garage or through the gate on my fence if I need to, and it doesn't stick out to far. I think the 6x12 me be a little wide on a jeep.

trailer.jpg

trailer.jpg

8. fordmstng66

Brad11ny. Thanks. I ended up getting a 5x10 after looking at 6x12 I felt it would be to big for the jeep.