1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigger tires

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dent82, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Dent82

Dent82 Member

I have a 05 2500HD Duramx w/ a 8'2" poly v-plow. I had the plow put on with the stock tires, recently put on bigger tires (285/75 r16) I can't remember the stock size. The plow dosen't seem to plow as clean as it did before. Do I need to make any adjustments? If so what?

2. Ultimate inc

Ultimate inc Junior Member

might try adjusting your chain i put bigger tires on my truck but i didn't really notice a difference when i plow.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: He is just "jerk"-ing your chain.:rolleyes:

You may have to drop your push-bar down and is your cutting edge worn?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2007
  4. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

I would guess that its your cutting edge beginning to wear and not necessarily anything to do with the tires since the stock tires on that truck were a 245-75-16. Your new tires are a little bit taller, but I would think not enough to change the angle of your plow's edge. On the other hand, it could be by just a little bit and may take some plowing before your edge wears to the new angle. Good luck. Chuck

5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

245 to 285's is more than just a little bit. Taller tires, even if his cutting edge is worn he will still need to lower the push bar .
    I did when I went from stock tires to my 285 bfg's plus it was probably a little to high to begin with.

6. SpruceLandscape

Snofarmer, I was thinking about this last night and you are probably right. However, unless you jacked up your torsion bars before, you might not need to lower your pushbar. Check the height on the eyelets to see if they are 15.5" at the center, before you adjust your pushbar.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

lol, I was thinking about it also... When I put the bigger tires on it was around the same time I put new springs on the front.

Until we know the hight of his pushbar were just guessing at the solution.;)

8. Dent82

Dent82 Member

I never even thought about turning my torrsion bars back down.

9. SpruceLandscape

before you turn your torsions down, check the height at the center of the holes on your pushbar. If you are at or close to 15.5", you should leave them alone and look for another solution. If you are above that, then you could try to lower your tosions, and then get a set of timbrens for the front if you don't already have them. A few guys from this site talked me into getting them for the front of my Dodge CTD and I'm sure glad I did.