1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigger Tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Italiano67, Sep 3, 2006.

1. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I am ordering an 07 2500 HD regular cab and just wondering if anybody knows about larger tires offered other than the 245 series. I test drove a crew cab and it had the 265 tires and it looked alot nicer. I am sure they were not aftermarket wheels as it was set up as a work truck and only had 8 miles on it. I just am not happy with the pizza cutter tires on my 04. I understand I can swap them out once I get it but it will pretty expensive and you should be able to order them the way you want them.

2. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

even the 265's are pretty small, id recommend a 285 or even a 305

3. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'd got with the 285s. They are good for filling up the wheel wells.

4. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I am wondering if Chevrolet has any other options than the 245 series. I would like to order them with the truck. I agree that the 265 is still small but is some better than the 245.

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the smaller tires(narrow) are better for work trucks (when it comes to traction). the last tires i bought were 235's. hope the rummor is right, the more narrow the better.

6. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

skinny is good. You can go as tall as you want. Just stay skinny. Look at tractor tires. Unless there in the feilds that are marshy or full of muck, they have skinny tires on them.

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

FYI on going big

Bigger tires look cool, no doubt about it, but they cost you an arm and BOTH legs. My 1500 ram came with 16" rims and 245's, I could find great tires for cheap all day long. MY 2500 ram came with 265/17's and it costs me $800+ to get good load E tires.

8. Jay brown

looking "cool" doesn't mean much to me on a plow truck or any truck. that's what big boats and sport cars are for. LOL

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Jay Brown

235-85/16 are great tires for plowing. Load range E and good through the snow.

10. Jay brown

that's good to hear, just went out in the shop and checked, that's the exact size i put on my new plow truck (firestone). it had some bigger mud tires on, i told the tire shop i wanted the original factory size.

11. Jay brown

hey cet, how does your 3500 handle the 10 footer? i'm thinking of putting our 10' on the f350 but i'm not sure because of the weight issue. i might try to find a f700 w/ automatic.

12. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The stock 245 Bridgestones really were bad. I had to sip mine to get traction. I run BFG 285's all summer and they are better for plowing. I used them on my last truck. Sounds weird but it was true in my case. I just don't run them now so my PYO rims don't pit up from the salt. I run a 3500 steel set with the 245's in winter. Also 285 are the biggest your getting under there with out some serious modifications to your truck. I have some pics in the link below with both sets of tires on my truck.

13. lodogg89

lodogg89 Senior Member

actually 305's will fit with cranking the torsion bars on 2500's, reg cab 2500's i know fit with no modifications

14. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Usually you will have to do some triming of the front valance and zip tie back the inner fender well cover if you are going to run 305's. Correct me if I am wrong but the 305 is just a wider tire then the 285. As far as the tall narrow tire, a 235/85 is the same hieght as a 285 only narrower if that matters. I ran 285s last year on my truck and didn't run into any problems what soever.

Will

15. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

If my 285's rubbed the front frame to the point the wax coating came off I suspect the 305's will rub hard. Unless we are talking new rims with a different offset.

285's are already pushing the limit of a stock rim.

16. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

245/75R16 were the standard size on my 2004 1500 4x4 Silverado and 265/75R16 were the optional size.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My sides are the type that stick straight out. The blade is still 9' but there is a hugh amount of snow in front of it. It will plow through any thing we get but last year we only had 1 storm over 6". I run 750lbs. of ballast. I am thinking of getting a C5500 this year with a tailgate salter.

18. Jay brown

hey cet, i ment the 10' spreader on the 3500, not the blade. thanks, jay

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Well I was close:dizzy:

The salter has been great but there is no way we can load it full. It is 4.4 cubic yards and the salter weights 1400 lbs. I bought it with the hopes of buying a bigger truck in the next couple of years. I have the same salter on my W5500. We take the box off for the winter and use it as a cab and chassis. We can load that one full and they turn on a dime. You might be all right with the Fisher 10' salter it is just over 3 yard capacity. Are you looking for a hydraulic salter or gas.

20. Jay brown

i just bought a 9' sweson stanless hydraulic, i was going to put it on our f 350 but i think it will be overweight. we have some dump trucks i could use but they a little old to drive in inclimate weater. i think i'll look for a f 700 (with automatic) or similar, without a box, and use it as a dedicated spreader truck. i've been using a small gas swenson unit but wanted something with larger capicity. couldn't pass this deal up on the spreader, it was only $700 for 9' 5 yard cap. stanless steel, with pre wetting system.