1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigger Tires

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Mistel, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Mistel

Mistel Member

I have a 2004 2500 with plow prep. I still have the stock tires. I need to raise the front end a bit. I know I can crank the torsion bars for an inch or two, but what if I put larger tires on the front only, Say 275's. That way I could still use my stock tires on the rear and would not be wasting a good set of tires. Any thoughts??????

2. corkireland

corkireland Senior Member

I would highly recommend against that. If you need front end help go with a set of timbrens or cranking the torsion bars. But theirs a reason that the tires are the same size all the way around. The breaking acceleration and handling of the truck are designed around that. I'm sure other will agree on this is compltely not the way to go about getting more height out of the front end. Look at the first two options and read around the sight on other tips for getting more height up front. :salute:

3. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

I agree, also if you run different size tires your ABS light will come on and your antilock brakes will be inop.

4. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

And 4wd requires tires of same size to work properly too.

5. crashz

crashz Senior Member

As Tarkus said, 4wd depends on the same size tires. If you run a larger tire up front and smaller tire in back, the tire up front will cover more ground per revolution than the one in the back. So at very best you will be dragging the rear tires around. But you won't go far. Most likely the transfer case will give out.

You should rasie the front a little by cranking up the torsion bars a few turns. Search on this and you'll find a million threads on how to do it.

6. Tarkus

Not to mention very strange handling and stabilty issues on slick surfaces in 4wd too with different size tires installed.

7. Mistel

Mistel Member

OK, some good points. When you crank the torsion bars, doesn't that make the ride even worse?? Its pretty bad to begin with. Would new shocks help the ride??

Thanks for your input

8. Tarkus

Ride does not really change much unless you crank them up a lot and suspension tops out and cam angles change a bit. It will ride better when plow is attached. Just make sure you crank them properly (at least truck on a jack) and lube those bolts too.

9. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You have a newer truck so shocks should not be the issue. You can crank up the bars upto 1.5 inch. The down side is less wheel travel when hitting pot holes and dropping from curbs. The ride it self will not be affected as far as harshness goes. Make sure to mesaure before and after so, you keep in sync on both sides.