1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigger than '78 ?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD PLOWER, Feb 18, 2003.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I just came home to find out that this storm is bigger than the grandaddy of them all :eek:. While I think this storm was very impressive, I don't see the comparison. Yes we had high winds and a large amount of snow but I still think 78 was in a class by itself as far as winds and drifts go. 78 listed as 27.1" and this storm was 27.4". Do you guys who are plowing this think it compares? Maybe I'm just being nostalgic :rolleyes: .

Don't get me wrong I will still bill this one out at 27.4" payup.

PS. good night all :waving:
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2003
  2. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Equipment is so, so, so much better today.
  3. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

I have to agree, I remember well the '78 Blizzard and It definitely is in a class of its own.

This storm was bad but I think the overall ferocity of the '78 Blizzard was far, far worse.

And yes the equipment, and technology is far better today than it was a mere 24-25 years ago.
  4. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

JD Plower,

I was 18 and worked the Blizzard of 78 for my dad. The one big difference that I recall was that the 27" we had for the Blizzard of 78 was very HEAVY and WET snow, This storm was all light and fluffy. (For me anyway). Since I worked both, I would place my vote that the 78 storm was much worse.
  5. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

In 78' they officially closed roads in CT. I can remember looking for the biggest downhill street to sled. I was 8 and it felt like they gave use a week off from school. (sure it was only a day or two....felt like more. I was just in 3rd grade)

6. fast68

fast68 Junior Member

78 !! my year, hehee

i think that severity of weather repeats itself in cycles of every 20 to 30 years, at least it just seems that way anyways.
  7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I was only 8 then,but i rode with my Dad the entire storm in his 72 K5 blazer,only being 8,I still remember that in 78 the entire area was paralized by that storm.This last one while bad wasnt as crippling,andthe roads never closed here,In 78 they closed I84,not this time.The equipment is much .much better today,back them hardly anyone had loaders either,construction companys only,now every plwo contractor has a loader it seems,so this helps.
  8. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I was only three then so I do not remember the storm. (we lived in PA anyway) I think though that not only has snow removal technology changed but so has forecast and auto technology. In 1978 the storm was more of a surprise. Even though we sometimes are angered at forecasters they still gave us a warning of this storm.

Also in 1978 most people owned rear wheel drive cars that became stuck on freeways. Most families today own a 4wd or at least a front wheel drive car. Much easier to get around in.

Just my $.02.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2003
  9. DaveO

DaveO PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Ma.

Memory says 78 was worse, but we were all much younger then.

This storm had the worst "white out" I have driven in, was real bad around 10pm-2am. The 1st 10" was light/fluffy, the last 10-12" was heavy/wet. It actually taxed my equipment and myself more than I would prefer. Maybe only 12" next time??

10. drobson

drobson Senior Member

As most people have stated already, the '78 storm was much worse. This was for several reasons:

1. 80 mph winds
    2. Severe coastal flooding
    3. We were not prepared for it
    4. Equipment was not as good
    5. There was not as much equipment in service
    6. Didn't happen on a holiday
    7. Heavy wet snow

Remember that this storm (in MA anyway) did not qualify for a real blizzard. There has to be a certain amount of wind accompanied by a certain visibility and sustained accumulation per hour over a period of time.

Around here most of the streets were clear in a pretty short amount of time. In '78 it took a week to get the roads back in the order they are in now. Also, this storm was not bad enough to declare a state of emergency for MA, unlike the '78 storm.

I for one am glad this wasn't more like '78. Even though I was young when it happened, I remember most of it and don't want to go throuh it again.
  11. tuna

tuna Senior Member

No comparison to 78 at all,this was not even a blizzard you need 35mph sustained winds and extreme cold to go along with the snow to be a bizzard.And this crap about beating 78 for snow fall is a bunch of BS also because of different methods of measurment,I saw on the news today that in todays standard of measurement 78 would have been 40 inches of snow.78 the roads were a mess for weeks,yesterday by noon time the roads were fine.In 78 there were not as much equipment,private or municiple,inferior road chemicals,and a lot of rear wheel drive cars that could not get through the snow.Its a quarter of a century later and I dont think you will ever see the same problems from 25 years ago happen again.The one thing that wont change is the paranoia that the public goes into when they clean out the stores of every bottle of milk and loaf of bread that these idiots can fit into their 4x4 go anywhere 45 thousand dollar safari vehical that they are afraid wont make it to the 24 hour store that is on every corner now.....I need to cool of.
  12. drobson

drobson Senior Member

Oh yeah, the other thing is that the 27 inches they say we got around here was in Boston, in Woburn we got about 20" and in Malden we got about 18".

Now in '78 we got about 36" in Malden, so the snowfall was about double in '78 from this storm where I live.