1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigger ten average drive way

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by natimp, Dec 22, 2005.

1. natimp

natimp Junior Member

I am new to the plowing business. I am mostly into plowing residential driveways right now and have gotten the gist of pricing ( most run between 30.00-50.00) but I have one of my lawn clients who wants a price. Her driveway is pretty large. It runs about 100' to about 150' in length( single car width ). At the end of the driveway you have 2 single paved parking spots on the left and on the right are 3 single car doors( garage) In the front there is a circle driveway connected. I was thinking in the $75.00 range for any storm up to 3" ( only at her request it will be done), from 4"-6" $100.00, 6" - 10" $150.00, 10" - 12" $200.00 (which I can do 2 passes depending on perdiction of storm) , and 12" + the price starts over from beginning. In this area we don't see to many really large storms but I think it is better to protect myself with pricing it anyway. Weather had been crazy all year and you never know. So does this sound reasonable? Remember, she is a lawn client and I dont want to offend her and lose the job but I do want to make as much as I can. Thanks :help: :drinkup: :rolleyes:

2. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

$200 sounds like a LOT of money for ANY driveway for a 10" snow.

What time are you estimating this taking?

I have factory parking lots that I charge this amount for. They take less than an hour.

3. natimp

natimp Junior Member

I guess it would take me between 1 to 2 yrs with a 10"+ storm. The entire driveway is surrounded by 6 by 6's and with that storm I would have to plow and lift to push it deeper into the wooded areas. It does sound a little high to me but like I said I am new with this.

4. natimp

natimp Junior Member

And it isnt your average size driveway.

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a shot of a driveway I plow. From where I'm standing, it goes behind me about 400' and is 12' wide.

For this I charge $115 and on your average snow, I'm in and out in about 20 minutes.

StPed2.JPG

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

This is the upper area with a center circle garden, 3 car garage.

This is what I charge to plow only. I don't step foot out of my truck.

StPed1.JPG

7. Groundmovers

Groundmovers Member
    from NE CT.

Boy are you getting a good deal on that one...

...you're getting $115 and there is no snow....:p

8. natimp

natimp Junior Member

TLC........Thank you. I am in the central NJ area ( I see your out of Phila.) Those pictures put it in a more understanding way at what I should be charging. I was thinking about it more today and I think I will tell the home owner $75.00 for any snow up to 6", $100.00 for anything up to $10", $125.00 anything beyound that point ( 10"+). If 2 plowing sessions are needed because of the amount of snow or time span of snowfall the charge will be $150.00. How does that sound?? I really appreciate you helping me with this type of estimating. Happy Holidays to you and everyone.

9. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

1 to 2 years :eek: Now that is one hell of a driveway...

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, I was gonna,......but the H and Y keys are close together on the keyboard.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

That sounds better, but just be cautious as to how you word it..... They could be cheap and tell you to come out when it stops. That could be a couple feet, and you'd be stuck charging them $125 ONCE!

1-6".....$75
    7"-10"...$100
    11" & Up $Plowed according to storm

This way you open yourself up to charging what you need to on the REAL deep ones.

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, what can I say.... I have some nice accounts! :D

13. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats a sweet looking account you got.

14. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, it's quite a property. This guy sunk a LOT of coin into building this house.

I treat him good, he treats me good.

15. mkjsunscapes

mkjsunscapes Junior Member

If you don't mind me asking, what do you get to mow that place and how long does it take you and with what equipment?

Mike

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I have been getting $120/cut. It's mowed on Tuesdays and Fridays during the Spring, and Fridays throughout the year.

It sits on 8 or 9 acres of land, but he only has about 4 of it mowable. A little gingerbread stuff around the pool and around the one flower bed needs the push mower. (due to terrain, not size accessability). The heliport (yeah payup ) has a steep dropoff on the lower end. But it is still mowable with my 60" Lazer.

I'm in and out in less than 2 hrs (mostly 1.5hrs). It all depends on any extras I do that particular day. It takes a full hour just to mow with the 60" Lazer.