1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigger Sander??

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by PPP, Nov 19, 2010.

1. PPP

PPP Member

I have a question for anyone who has a 1.8yd spreader. If you were to do it over again would you purchase the 2.5yd spreader instead? My reason for this question is that my sander guy that I subbed things out to no longer can do my salt work. I can not find anyone else in the area to do it (lot on the wrong side of the tracks). I had been debating getting a spreader for some time and I think now is the time. I will be getting a SS Gas V-Box (really wanted electric, thought about the Down Easter Hydraulic Gas Drive Unit as well but no one stocks them near me). There's not much of a price difference of weight issue between the two models. With every year I'm growing and the 1.8 would suffice, but need to be filled a little more often. Is it worth getting the slightly larger unit. I hate regretting not having spent the money up front then needing it later. It would be primarily mounted to a F-450 and in a pinch on my F-250. I currently have enough work to keep the sander plenty busy. And does anyone own a Hydraulic Gas Drive Unit?
  2. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

i have seen folks put sides on there 1.8 thus making it a larger capacity
  3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

on a F450 definitely a 2.5 yard!
    we have two 3yarder on a 5500 and a 6500 they could be bigger :)
    just added another 4.5 yarder to a 5500

You never have to much salt with you if you can carry it safely.
  4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

Go big or you will be regretting it later
  5. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Always go bigger - for the extra price it will save you 10 times that in the future