1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Bigger salt preader for Chevy C4500 Kodiak

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by millenniumland, Aug 26, 2004.

1. millenniumland

millenniumland Junior Member

I am looking at buying a new Chevy Kodiak C4500, and putting a salt spreader on it so that I can reduce the number of times we fill the spreader during our events. We usually spread between 4-6 tons of salt per event. does anyone have a suggestion of where I should look for a larger capacity spreader for this type of truck?

I appreciate the help.

Kevin
    Millennium Landscape and Lawncare inc.

2. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

We have a local dealer selling all sizes.I know they have a few in the yard bigger than my superduty.I will check out the brand and post it tomorrow.On another note, do you like plowing with this truck? is it faster or more productive than a 350??

3. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

does your truck have a dump body or a stake body?

4. millenniumland

I have not purchased this truck yet. I am looking at your suggestions first before I do anything. I want to make sure that I dont buy something, and then wish later on that I had purchased something different. I don't plan on plowing with the truck I buy, just salting and then landscape work during the rest of the year.

Kevin

5. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

i would look at getting a dump truck with a undertialgate salter....you will have to get a central hydrulics but is well worth the money...i would probably expect to pay about 3000-4500 to get the central hydro and get it plumbed to the rear and a spreader control box...then another 2000-2500 on a spreader.

this would be what i would do...i would get a 6500 which alows you to carry about 12-14k in salt

honestly 4-6 tons per event would not justify the purchase of a truck of this size.. a truck this size should be able to handle at least 20-25 tons depending on the route

6. millenniumland

What else would you suggest Five Star?

Last year I subbed out my salt work, and lostmy #@%$. In what I paid my sub, I could almost buy a new truck and salter. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to spend my money wisely. I've checked into bulk salt delivery, and the prices are half of what my sub was charging just for the salt, not including there labor. We salted about 8 tons per event last year and a total of almost 200 tons. What do you think?

7. Foz

Foz Senior Member

I have 2-5500, 1-4500, 1-3500 & use western stainless hopper salters with honda engines, have had good luck so far & can put about 4 cubic yards of salt in a 10 Ft hopper on the 5500s

8. XPECTATIONS

XPECTATIONS Member
    from SE PA

Sub out salting

When I STARTED OUT i subed OUT MY SALTING! what A MISTAKE!!!!!! He charged me $120.00 per ton applied, and he could do a little plowing! To make a long story short, I was overcharged and under applied! I found out later, I was billed for 80 tons and he had only purchased 22 tons for his contracts and mine!

Your highest profit margin is salting, and the most critical to get correct! Do not put your profit in subs hands, you will be sorry.